If set on a Friday, hatch on a Friday?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jul 10, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I know this has probably been beat to death, and I know 21 days isn't set in stone. But, if I set my eggs on a Friday AM , "shouldn't" day 21 start on a Friday AM? Also, do they get moved to the hatcher early day 18 or end of day 18? I have seen so much conflicting info that I'm confused [​IMG]
    My first hatch was great and hatched well in spite of me, most eggs were older than I knew and hatched early and I have had mixed results with shipped eggs since ( I know this is typical)
    Thanks all!
    Krista

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    That in theory, is correct. However, if your temperature is running high, they can hatch early or if running low, late.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, what Jean said. [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    How about the move to hatcher? early day 18 or late day 18, or does it not matter?
    Thanks!

5. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I don't think it matters. I have had lots of hatches where I forget to move them and I open up the incubator and there are a couple little ones sitting in there looking at me thinking:

"Yeah, I've been sitting on this little ride thing you got going in here and I'm not impressed."[​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Jean,
    Those silver Ameraucana eggs are HUGE! [​IMG]
    Still have another week left, just trying to figure out when to bump my humidity [​IMG]
    What color do the silvers hatch out?(maybe a silly question, are they silver?)
    Thanks,
    Krista

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    pips&peeps :

I don't think it matters. I have had lots of hatches where I forget to move them and I open up the incubator and there are a couple little ones sitting in there looking at me thinking:

"Yeah, I've been sitting on this little ride thing you got going in here and I'm not impressed."[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If your humidity has been a constant level in your incubator then I don't usually bump it up until I see a pip. With the larger eggs there is just naturally more moisture in them and you don't want to drown them. If your humidity has been low, then by all means bump it at day 18.

The silvers are the only real ameraucana that hatches with chipmunk stripes. You will be able to tell male from female at about six weeks as the plumage will be different. The females will have some salmon colored breast feathers and be a brown color everywhere else except the head, which will have silver highlights. The males with be black and white splotchy looking things until they mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by