If she is brroody, shouldnt she be warm?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom25, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    ok Its been about a week now, no eggs, my white rock still picks on the Ameraurana when she comes out of the coop. I have tried blocking the nesting boxes to no avail. I have removed all bedding from the coop so all there is is the roosts which no one uses, the wirefloor, and a board which the AM is laying on, She doesnt seem "hot" when I pick her up. In fact she seemed to be shivering when I was petting her last night. She is very docile and losing weight. Wont hand feed but will eat for 10-15 minutesgwhen I kick her out of the coop although this morning she didnt eat the left over fish and green beans we set out for her. I am locking her in the run with the coop during the day to avoid issues with the WR but she rarely comes out. What do I try next? Her eggs were lovely before they stopped and she doesnt feel like she has one in her skinny body.

side note my 21 week old Orp is getting really red in the comb this week so I hate blocking her and the WR from access to the coop during the day. I doubt a vet in my area would even know what to do with a chicken other than eat it but I really need HELP

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Are you certain that she's broody and not just sick???

3. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I'm not sure of anything with the girls. I thoguht she was just hiding since this one moved down on the chain of command. A number of people thought she was broody but as more time passes and I read more, I am not sure that is it either. Egg bound/ well I dont feel anything in her. when I look at her vent it sort of pulses. The other 2 arent laying yet so not much to compare to. Her eyes are bright and her color good..

I gave her a warm bath at lunch today ( it is 80 here). She then went and rolled in the sand box, spent 5 minutes eatign and went back in the coop... Honestly I dont know what the problem is.

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Do you suppose that she is intimidated by the WR and just doesn't want to come out and get picked on? Do you have a dog crate or something of the like that you can put the WR in for the day and see if she comes out and acts a bit more normal? Just a thought. [​IMG]

5. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    yes to both questions. Right now I have closed off access to the run and the coop from the WR and Orp. So the Am can walk about without getting pecked but it doesnt seem to make any differnce. In the evening I put everyone back in the enclosure. The Orp has been going up to the coop and sleeping next to the Am and the WR is sleeping in the dust bowl ( no logic to that other than she doesnt want to sleep on the ground alone).

How do I tel what the cause is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by