If some chicks are vaccinated for Mareks/Cocci, will others be endangered?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wordgirl, Apr 21, 2012.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    If some, but not all, chicks living together are vaccinated for Mareks and Cocci, will this cause the other chicks to get sick/more susceptible?

Thanks!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Yes! If you get vaccinated chicks...they should be separated from all others for two weeks...It allows the vaccinated chicks to shed the potentially active virus...you should be ok then to combine them all..two weeks to be on the safe side...

3. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Thank you! [​IMG]

4. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do u get these vaccine for chicks at vet or feed store

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    I think you may be able to get the vaccine to do it yourself, but I'm not sure where - you might want to see if there's a thread on that somewhere here. Most often, I think, the chicks are vaccinated at the hatchery, before they're shipped (that's how mine will be vaccinated).

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    The vaccine can be a tad tricky in the fact it is typically sold for doing batches of 1000 chicks! Also, the vaccine, once mixed into its solution you have to do, is only good for a few hours...its comes in a small small wafer form with a liquid...if you are REALLY good at dividing and measuring extremely small quantities you can split it all in 4ths...so that you can do 4 seperate rounds of shots. Google the vaccine you would like tomuse and many websites will pop up that sell it...It must stay refrigerated at all times.

7. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    How about unvaccinated ducklings? I'd kind of like to have them get to know each other as soon as possible, but I certainly don't want the ducklings to get sick from the vaccinated chicks!

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ducks do not get the same illnesses as chickens... I don't believe you have anything to worry about there but do a little research before believing me 100%.. I have ducks and had them for a long time but I'm not an expert

9. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks! I'll look around the forum and the web a bit to see if anyone's talked about it before. [​IMG] I've heard ducks can get cocci, but don't know if it's the same strains. I think Marek's might be mostly a chicken disease (although there's a duck version of a related virus in the same family, I think), so that one's probably fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by