If the air cell moves freely, is the egg bad?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thndrdancr, Aug 26, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I do believe an egg is bad, from what I have read.

Candled one of a friend that gave me some turken/silkie eggs to hatch. I think most really got rough handling in shipping, and I think a few cracked in the egg turner, the shells were pretty thin (maybe due to the excessive heat?).

Anyhow, I candled 3 of them tonite, one looked good, one had a hairline crack that I didnt see until tonite, and it looked clear, and one had an air cell that moved all over the place as I moved it. Wouldnt have seen this, except the air cell was in wrong place, at the top of the egg when I was holding it sideways, so I moved it carefully around and air cell always moved to the top of the egg.
    This means its bad, right?
    Also, hairline crack will kill an egg as well, ? It was only about day 9 but it looked a little different than the good one.
    First time candler here, I mean with this batch. Hate to throw anything away yet until I know more.

Thanks in advance

Jill

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  2. johnnam

johnnam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    sweet home, OR
    I am no expert by any means but from what I understand if you don't see at least blood vessels at this stage that means the eggs are bad. I could be wrong though:/

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Ones with hairline cracks do some times pull through. A little wax will seal it up if it hasn't lost too much fluid.

The one with the air cell floating is definately a goner. It means the menbrane between the fluid and air sac broke.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Thanks, K

I thot that one was bad, the hairline I just couldnt tell, so will seal it up and see if anything comes of it. much appreciated!

Jill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by