If the coop is big, do they still need a covered roof for run ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaChic21, Dec 27, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    We have had a big snow blizzard today, and the plastic roof that was held by 2x6's flew away after the blizzard ! Now all 22 birds in all are in 7x7. I have 2 other coops in the run, but they all wanted to be in the same shed I guess. Now for a long time, we wanted to change their current location due to some distance and water issues. I wanted to go portable but looks like that's not going to happen. If I buy them a big shed or a big chicken coop, do they still need the roof to be covered with shingles or any other covering options ? Can it just be with chicken wire or fenced in to protect them from predators ? And they can hang out in the coop when it rains or snows ? The old roof did eliminate rain and snow. I just don't know. Any suggestions, ideas, pic's will be greatly appriciated.
    [​IMG]
    I will post pic's without the roof tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i would def buy a bigger coop/shed. a strong one that will hold up to the blizzards in your location etc. i have a covered run (wired) and (blue tarp) i clean the snow off their as well. its held up for the last 2 years. The run is has timbers and the timbers (wood) is cemented into the ground. i think that makes a difference. i shovel the snow off, it will last longer that way. [​IMG]

3. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:We had over 30 inches of snow here. The roof didn't fall down, the wind blew it away like 40 ft away from where the coop and run is even with all that snow on top. Nothing happened to the poles that was supporting the roof. The 2x6 16 ft long that was holding the roof to the poles, that even came out and flew off as well. The coop is still there, nothing has happened to it, thank God. I have to figure out something quick because the other half of the run doesn't have a roof, the other side still has its chicken wire attached. I'll take some pictures and post them.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. That's a crowded space for all those birds, so beware of fighting and bullying. If you can replace the roof on the run, do it. I realize how difficult things are at the moment, we're in the middle of the same weather now. You can see our coop and run in the links below. The kindest thing you can do for yourself and the chickens is to have solid structure that makes life easier for all concerned, and it also gives you much-needed predator protection. Hugs, while you cope, I know how bad it can get. [​IMG]

5. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    You could use more support with 2X4's on the roof.
    [​IMG]
    even twice this much would be better, if and when you can. With all the snow you have they do need a roof. I don't see how you could fix anything in all that snow, good luck to you. I'm not a lot of help being and old woman. I would send my husband but he might not be to happy about that.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What if you just rebuild the roof and this time attach it properly so it does not blow off? We could help you figure out the right way to do it, with sufficient pics to go from, if you want.

Pat

7. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    [​IMG] Click on the image to see it larger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was so hard walking and working thru that snow [​IMG] and trying to put temporary chicken wire to the roof of the run. I had 2 framed chicken wire and I just put that on top of their run and secured it so that won't fly out either [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I took this picture standing on top of the snow
    I've called my neigbors friend that is a contractor and he said he could help me next monday, ugh ! But let's see how much we'll he charge ! I don't think there is much we can do with all that snow for now. My ideal chicken coop is excually a dog kennel like this one http://www.horizonstructures.com/kennels.asp and a second run with fenced roof so they could get direct sun in the winter. Or something like this http://www.stoltzfusoutdoorliving.com/playhouse_minicottage.asp but I don't know if the run of this cottage style coop should be closed or just covered with chicken wire ?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I was out in the wind and snow yesterday morning fixing my "roof". I had used deer netting which snapped under the heavy wet snow we had here. The chickens never minded the rain and wind, but they really don't like the snow. I would suggest getting something over their run. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if the storm wasn't so bad. If you can just repair what you've got, possibly a bit more securely, you can probably limp along until nicer weather for the improvements. That said, whatever you had was totally inadequate if a 2x6 blew off. As a minimum, I would secure that with 3"-4" exterior screws. I can only guess you used nails which were too small.

9. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    My coop is an 8X8 shed, my run is uncovered. I have seen the birds out in the rain, and had no ill effects from them doing that, and I have seen them out in the snow. When the wind is real high (we get 75 - 80 mph gusts pretty frequently) I do close everything up and they are trapped inside. Otherwise, I let them choose and some come out in the cold... others do not.

[​IMG]

10. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    the run is about 17x10 since we have metal fencing around, we put 9 poles, like 3 on 1 line and 3 in the middle and 3 on the other side. Along with that we used three 16 ft long 2x6 to hold the plastic roof. we nailed it in with 3 inch screws. Then at the edge, we put gutters. Where the door is, that row, we put 2x4's on top of the roof and nailed that in too. Just to make it more secure. During the snow blizzard, the roof was fine, not cracks, no bending and no signs of nails getting loose. But yesterdat late afternoon, I looked and no more roof [​IMG]. We were in the process of getting a new coop/run to a different location for them. No one knew that we'll be having this much snow. My luck, I got more snow then anyone in this development [​IMG] I just wish it could of lasted until we build or gotten them a new coop/run [​IMG] The next run they'll have will be completely secured

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by