If the egg floats....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mommysongbird, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    can I still boil it and give back to my chickens?

2. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    anyone????? I have like 2 dozen eggs that have been refrigerated but when I put them in a pot of water today to boil, they were all floaters. Don't want to throw them out if I don't have to.

3. Hischick

Hischick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    Hello Mommysongbird,
    If the eggs were cold, that might make a difference in the flotation. How old are the eggs? You could try cracking one of the oldest into a bowl to see if it is still good.
    Our eggs we do not refrigerate, and our "sell by" date is 4 weeks unrefrigerated from the date layed. If we find a hidden nest, we test our eggs by placing the room temperature egg in cold water - if the egg does not float, it is good. Sometimes they will half-float, where part is touching the bottom of the bowl, and the other is pointing upwards. We still use them, and they are fine. If we are unsure, we crack I to a separate bowl before using.
    Hope this is helpful!

1 person likes this.
  4. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Thank you Hischick. These were cold. They had much older dates, the majority of the eggs did not float, so maybe I will just wait till they are room temp again. I can also crack one open to see if it is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by