If the eggs have been in the incubator a week-

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fourgirlsoneboy, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Can I open them to see if they were fertile, or will they stink? I've got 16 duds and 1 developing, I'm curious......

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Now im curious? If the eggs have been in the bator a week how do you knwo you have 16 duds if you havent opened the bator yet? I cant imagine they stink already but could be? At day 10 I throw completely dudded eggs out.

3. Fourgirlsoneboy

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Lol! I should have clarified- can I open the eggs [​IMG] . They don't stink at all, but there is zero veining and the other batch I have in has moving babies [​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:hmmm...Im sure you coud open them but like I said the 10 day mark is when I disect a clearish egg... If you do let us know what you found? I have opened my 10 day old ones to find little babaies that astopped developing or just watery runny eggs that were just cooking-

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Please wait!!!! Unless there is a space shortage.....I candle at day 14 or 15.....I've made a mistake once and don't want to repeat it!

Have a blessed day.

6. Fourgirlsoneboy

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    I will wait a few more days [​IMG].

7. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Quote:Wise counsel. Same thing here.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You probably won't be able to tell if they are fertile. The yolk turns runny after sitting around in an incubator for awhile. You can't check for the fertile spot.

9. Fourgirlsoneboy

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thanks Akane, that's what I was wondering. I am almost positive these are duds (but will wait-lol). They are all clear with a little yellow towards the air cell. The other batch of eggs has tons of veining and is dark almost to the bottom (and movement).. I'm not in a hurry to get them out of the bator yet [​IMG] . Every single one of the one batch is developing, and only 1 in the other batch is(I am thinking it was shipping ?, although both were packed very well). Lol- I guess it was just not meant to be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by