1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

if they are sneezing...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NovaAman, Dec 22, 2011.

1. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

ok... Bout the sneeze thing... I have Buffy, she's done this high pitched chirp/speak for about a month now... Nothing else but that. Now roger the rooster is too. None of the others are. No runny noses, stools... Eating drinking walking roosting just fine...however with everything going one with other chook owners, I am concerned. The neighbor gave me tetracycline, but he does not remember how much per gallon. I figure I had best do a broad sweep and get them all regardless. Nip in the bud if it sounds like the beginning of respiratory whatever... Opinions?

2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

if its a resperatory issue I would give them a injection of tylan50 1/4 cc or 1/2cc for large birds for 3 days and that will take care of it

3. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I agree with you Nova. Also increase the warmth of the sneezers. Not too much but just a tad until they finish the antibiotic.
    You can also swab and send the swab to M.S.U. to find out what is going on. In my case the culture result was serious. In Fife's case it was not. P.M. Me if you need the phone number to the M.S.U. vet. p.s. you may want to separate the sneezers. In my case the bacterial pneumonia spread via the food and water dish.
    Good luck.

4. NovaAman

I have both sizes... should I do the ones that are showing no symptoms as well then?

5. NovaAman

they are the garage refugees... Just 2. I almost wonder if its dust related cuz e have a vent that blows into the garage...

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

As you said nip it in the bud I would do them all because if they were together than chances are the ones that are not showing signs yet might still be exposed

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I never treat for sneezing. Well, I would never treat for contagious respiratory illness anyway, but if the ONLY symptom is sneezing, you should test for high ammonia levels or dusty feed or bedding before you jump to any conclusions. I see no reason to treat with antibiotics for just sneezing.

8. NovaAman

I have never given a shot to a chicken... I have given insulin shots tho... It goes in the breast right?

I was considering giving albon orally, as its a nice broad spec antibiotic that is good for respiratory as well as cocci. But I was sure if I should do the whole flock. 10 doses is 11.50... I have 10 chooks now. But, the tsc is close by, so I can go there in the A.M. For the tylan. I just hate to medicate if its nothing... Yes, both the coop birds and the garage refugees mix. The refugees became garage refugees because I had a few to many roosters. And they are only just realizing its safe to go back to the big coop.

9. NovaAman

Quote:this is why I am asking if I should... There are no other symptoms, and as I said, buffys been doing it for a while with nothing else. Ammonia isn't the problem. I took ventilation very seriously..

10. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Nova,
    Check with Fife on the swab.
    For my birds it was incurable and a serious bacteria. For hers she put Duraband in the water which is a form of pennicillan and all her chickens recovered. Different bacteria were involved.
    You may want to swab Buffy and then decide.

Or just try the Duraband which is what the MSU vets told Fife to use and see if it clears up. She put it in her water bowls. I may be spelling it wrong.
    Pennicillan is really good for respiratory infections.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by