If they can get into it, they will :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Tala, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I found a dead chick (8 week old) while mowing tonight. I had an empty terra cotta plant pot that was setting on a crosstie by my garden. It was on the ground tonight so I picked it up to mow and found a recently-dead pullet under it. Apparently she knocked it off on top of herself and I assume died from the heat. Sounds like such a terrible way to go I feel bad for her!!

I didn't get to finish mowing before dark because I had to go dig a hole for her. Burying chickens is just part of owning chickens. Sad but true. I've had the worst run of luck with this spring's chicks [​IMG] and they've not been sickly at all, just lots of accidents and just plain crazy stuff happening to them.

2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

im sorry. i know when i open the door to my coop, i usually have one or two chickens go into the corner between the door and the wall just because its something 'new' and 'different'. Chickens are curious things.
    I have a whole cemetery for my pets. it has rabbits, chickens, a horse...

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I know. I'm running out of bricks to cover them with. My dogs haven't dug anything up, but if I move the bricks I'm afraid that I'll eventually forget [​IMG]

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Gosh, I'm sorry, that's just awful! I seem to be having right around the same luck too, even had one of my oldest and brightest chickens accidentally hang herself on our hay baler a couple months ago. You do all you can to keep them safe, but they are always seeming to invent new ways to off themselves.

So sorry, hopefully today is a better day. [​IMG]

5. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I know. I'm running out of bricks to cover them with. My dogs haven't dug anything up, but if I move the bricks I'm afraid that I'll eventually forget [​IMG]

You are running out of bricks? im running out of wood
    [​IMG]

6. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by