if they would stop eating all the sand....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiemom25, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I put a sand box in today finally... I need to use a bigger one but that is another matter.. The 5 took 10 minutes eating the sand and running to the waterer.... I am assuming it wont hurt them any but #50 wont last long if they keep eating it...

it is 80o here but they girls are panting.. The sand seemed a little damp from the bag and 2 seem to have settled in just laying in the box to keep cool. Mind you we have little to no humidity... I am afraid what my wimpy girls will do when it hit 100 in Sept this year...

[​IMG]

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    First thing to do, say tomorrow, is to get the chickens under some shade. There is no way they should be panting at 80 degrees, although panting to them is no more than
    sweating is to us. It is not a sign of distress but it IS an indicator of heat. I think it is because they are under direct sun. The worst thing that can happen to chickens in hot weather is direct sun.
    In the wild they would be seeking dirt and shade under trees to dust bath in. If you have no humidity where you are then a mister is a possibility, and a fan may be a necessity when over 100 degrees.

These things are needed for a chicken to be healthy in the hotter part of summer:

1. Shade. Under a tree if practicable.
    2. Ventilation. Wide open is best. If there is no air moving, a fan can be used.
    3. Water in unlimited amounts.
    4. Dirt under them to scratch in, roll in and dust bath in.

You do not need to provide swimming pools, Ice water or lemonade unless that what it takes to keep you happy. They won't care.

BTW, they'll stop eating the sand.

[​IMG]

3. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Don't worry about how much sand that they eat, you will get it back soon.............

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Mine have plenty of shade and we refresh the water as often as we can in the summer. We do have humidity and the temps are supposed to be in the 100's this week. I do put ice in the water about once a day however in heat like this. It is much appreciated. They don't have to have it but it does make me feel better! I put it in the hanging bucket in their coop.

I have an old fiberglass sat dish that is lean up in the run that they all tend to get under in the heat and take their dust baths. I also run water over the top of it and it fills the lip of the dish and they enjoy that.

I also have a couple of pieces of tin about 4 ft long that I have leaning up in different places in the runs that provide some shade, plus there is a huge oak tree at the corner of one run that shades for part of the day.

Shade and fresh water.....they will make it fine.

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Never thought of it that way!

6. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I put the sand box in the sun to dry out.. They have shade from a tree at one end of the run and the area under the coop of course is shaded. Plenty of water available, the dirt under the tree is moist and cool. the block wall behind the coop tends to cast shade by 4pm. It is the chicken's choice to lay in the sun.... we do have an ocean breeze but the sun can get hot. Maybe I should out a 2nd waterer in the coop or under it.

7. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens with dark feathers get hot easily. My black Australorps start panting when it is in the high 70's like it has been all week here. They stay in the shade all day long, preferably deep in the woods, and only come out after the sun is down. An extra waterer is a good idea. They lose a lot of water when they pant. After the sand dries, move the sand box to the shade. They love the sand so much that they will stay in the sun to use it. Actually, my chickens like their sand better when it is wet.

8. LostMindPleaseFind

LostMindPleaseFind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Thanks. I'll move it tonight.

10. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    They have shade from a tree at one end of the run and the area under the coop of course is shaded. Plenty of water available, the dirt under the tree is moist and cool. the block wall behind the coop tends to cast shade by 4pm. It is the chicken's choice to lay in the sun.... we do have an ocean breeze but the sun can get hot. Maybe I should out a 2nd waterer in the coop or under it.

Sounds just about perfect to me!

I do put ice in the water about once a day however in heat like this. It is much appreciated. They don't have to have it but it does make me feel better!

Then it works!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by