If this is MG infection, what can I do? *Symptoms, situation and q's*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunshyne276, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I'm really not sure what to do.

I don't know if i'm dealing with "Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) infection" or not? And, if I am.... What to do!

Ok.. Here is the situation.

- Bought two adorable little chicks (From Tractor Supply) in March.
    - Purchased an adult Rooster (Leghorn/RIR cross) from an individual
    - Someone offered me several chickens (adults, under 2 years, was told), as they were moving and couldn't take all with them.
    - I have since purchased some chicks from an indvidual. They are about 2-3 weeks old now.

Ok.. So.. The ones I originally purchased, are doing well. A little aggressive with others, when around them, but doing well.

The adult chickens I took in (about 15, hens and a couple roosters) have had some issues from the start.
    Several had feathers missing, bald spots on their backs, from the roosters mounting them.
    So, I separated the aggressive roosters, and only leave a sweet Leghorn/RIR cross with them now.
    (The feathers do seem to be filling in a tiny bit so far)
    The chickens were rather stressed, as when I took them in, I didn't have their pen completed.
    So.. They were kept inside, in large cages, for about a week.
    They have been in their pen for about a week now, and seem happy.
    I went on vacation from 6-27 until 7-3. They were cared for while I was gone, but not the way I would (time spent), ofcourse. lol
    Before I left, one of my Comets had an issue. She seemed to be eggbound. She was weak, and falling over...
    She was making a gurgling sound..
    I feared i'd lose her!
    (she was also one of the ones with the most feathers missing)
    She started to refuse food and water. =/
    I gave her a warm oil bath, and made sure she drank/ate (as well as I could!), and medicated water and food. (Duramycin)
    Then, after a couple days, she was doing better!
    I wanted to keep her separate from the others, until I knew for sure what I was dealing with.
    While I was gone, she was put back in with the rest of the flock! *sigh*
    Now, she is still gurgling when she breathes.
    And, so are two others..
    And, I heard someone cough.
    The egg laying has slowed (which, as pointed out on another post, could be the heat and/or stress, but not sure?)..
    One hen had an odd clear foam (looked like suds) one her eye, but otherwise seemed healthy.
    Another hen has a swollen wattle, with a hard round thing inside, feels like a "BB".
    They seem pretty healthy other than the above...

But.. My issue is this.
    What do I do when it comes time to put my original two chickens, and then the little ones, in the coop?
    Will they catch this? If treated, will that take care of it, or is it a permanent problem?
    I have read the survivors of MG are ALWAYS a carrier, so i'm guessing it WILL spread?
    I don't want to cull (guess that's the word?) them.. But, what do I do?
    One thought, build a fence and little coop for them, up on the hill (about 100 feet from the others),
    and keep them isolated. (which would be difficult, but maybe?)
    Or, is it too late, since they have been around each other already - briefly?
    Does this even sound like MG?
    Will Duramycin work for MG, if that is what i'm dealing with?
    Will MG spread to my ducks?
    How deadly is MG?
    Will MG live in the soil and/or coop, even after the hens are moved?

Oh, and the little chicks.. Had 2 chicks and my baby runnder duck pass away while I was gone. [​IMG]
    The others seem to be in good health, though.

Any advice or input is appreciated!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Lets try to get some answers here for you...

3. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Thanks for the "bump".. [​IMG]

Yeah, so far I guess no ideas?

*Note: Haven't seen the "suds" in the eye of any of the chickens, since that one time. Could there be other reasons for a slight foamy/sudsy look to the eye, other than MG?

Also... A couple photos of the hen with the swollen wattle:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(http://photobucket.com/sunshyneschickens)

Thanks in advance!

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am sorry no one else has chimed in .. I truly dont know what would cause that.. Have you tried any antibiotics.. i dont use them but since she is a layer it wouldnt hurt... I wish i was more help...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by