If Walt Disney was a chicken . . .

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CuriousKitten, Sep 22, 2012.

1. CuriousKitten

CuriousKitten New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    What would be the best features of DisneyWorld for chickens? My chicken coop is in the early brainstorming stage, but I have decided to spoil them as much as possible O:) Their jobs will be to supply eggs for 2 humans and replenish the fertility of the soil their coop and run are on that season.

How high do Chickens like to go? Do they like multiple levels of perches? would high perches in the coop or run ever be used? would high perches be used more if there is an easy way to climb up? or a treat rack up near the perch?

This is the only real toy I've yet found: http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Feed-and-Water-Supplies/Chicken-Fun-Toy-p963.aspx Do chickens usually like this?

I'm also planning a tractor coop for for day-trips into other parts of the yard and for inspecting newly harvested pancake patch beds for stray grain and bugs before they are replanted for the next crop.

I'm used to hookbills (parrots, tiels, etc), cats and dogs, and have worked with primates before. Any comparisons/contrasts between these and what chickens do for fun would be helpful.

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Depends upon the breed of chicken chosen as to what personality traits and habits they will exhibit. All chickens are curious to a large degree and will check out and peck most anything on the off chance it is edible. Chickens do not like to be crowded although they are social animals and do not do well alone. They are also cannibals! So you must make sure that they are close in age or they will harass the young ones. Most chickens like swings although only the adventurous ones will actually use it. Perches from very low to very high depending upon breed of bird. They also love mirrors.

Jim

3. CuriousKitten

CuriousKitten New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    I'll be choosing breeds primarily for their egg-laying ability -- currently leaning towards White Leghorn and Rhode Island Reds, but I'll undoubtedly include newer "improved" breeds as well as older breeds with long interesting histories in the mix as well. Breeds noted for smarts will also be on the short list. I probably would need 6 hens to ensure enough eggs, esp as the first hens get older, but don't want to get too crazy with this.

Extra roosters need to be housed individually, unless they are clutchmates, correct? how far apart do they need to be from each other? Do they each need to have a hen with them to be happy?

Would swings for the same sized parrot be good? or would the perch be too small?

Do they like bells?

I'm leaning towards having two runs off the main hen house, so I can try to junglefy one while they are turning the other into moonscape. Also raised beds all round to help introduce edible greenery through the wire, and help prevent predators from gaining entry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by