1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If you breed your goat...how do you know its prego?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    OK, this may sound dumb, but if you are paying a breeder for their buck, you leave the does there, when would you have actual confirmation of a pregnancy?

Are there any specific signs the does give when pregnant? [​IMG]

2. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Some say you have to learn the signs she shows when she goes in heat. If she comes in heat again she is not pregnant. She may not start showing or growing utters until a month before delivery so you can't tell by looking at her.

There are places you can send away for a pregnancy test for goats.
    http://www.rockylab.com/GOAT.html
    http://www.biotracking.com/sheep-and-goat-faq.php

Short of that you will just have to wait and see [​IMG]

My doe is trying to get pregnant too now so I hope someone has a better answer than this LOL

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  3. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    It costs about $8 to send in some blood for a pregnancy test, but I believe the doe has to be about 30 days pregnant for it to be effective. Otherwise you can just wait and see if she goes into heat again.

4. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    human pregnancy tests do not work, I know people who have tried LOL All you can do is watch for a tummy and udder. Ask them for a buck rag when you pick her up, then tie it to your fence, then if she goes back into heat she will probably hang around the smelly rag wanting the buck again. I give 3 breedings per stud fee and they can switch bucks, use a diff buck each time, if they want... never had a doe not settle to my boys, but it can happen... good luck!!!

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
  6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    You can have her blood tested as others have stated. I watch to see if my does come into heat again. You can also tell by her pooch once she's about a month along, at least I'm learning to [​IMG]
    I have one doe who is obviously pregnant by looking at her pooch but if you looked at her body you would continuously be second guessing if she was, she's so deep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by