If you build it. They will hatch!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by A1momof3, Jan 19, 2015.

1. A1momof3

A1momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Quitman, Texas
    Ok so I have decided to just build an incubator. I have this cabinet in my storage room and I would like to use it. But I am a picture and video kind of girl....when I read directions I can get it but if I can see it then I understand it. So I need help from those of you who have done this before. I have seen and read the build a incubator threads but I get lost so I thought a step by step thread might help me and I can post it as I go along.
    But first will this work?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I did something similar with a book shelf my son was throwing away.
    I assume you want to retain the beauty of the cabinet. For that reason, I recommend you pull out the drawers and insulate the entire inside with foam board that has a reflective foil side and put that toward the inside. The wood won't be sufficient insulation IMHO.

Another option is to have an incubator section and a separate hatcher section. That will keep the incubator cleaner and better allow staggered hatches.

3. A1momof3

Feb 24, 2014
    Quitman, Texas
    Ok this is what it looks like with out the drawers. Divided into 3 sections. I will have to remove these dividers won't I? [​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Maybe. Another option would be to use them as tracks for some wire drawers/turners or at least use the bottom one for a hatcher drawer. Then build a glass door or doors on the front to seal the heat and humidity in.

I made an additional shelf at the top of mine to hold a water pan and blow the heated air across the rather large pan. A hole in the top above the pan and put a gallon jug in it to keep the pan full.
    I'll try to post pictures.
    I put an aquarium air pump and pumped fresh air into it.

5. A1momof3

Feb 24, 2014
    Quitman, Texas
    Pictures would be great.

6. A1momof3

Feb 24, 2014
    Quitman, Texas
    I was also thinking that if I cut the dividers out but leave about an inch or so on the edges I could attach hardware cloth and still have divided sections.
    Would that work??
    [​IMG]
    Also is it better to have the water, heat, and air on the bottom, middle or top?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by