If you can, please advise...very sick pullet, my pet! *** GOOD NEWS!**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clarmayfarm, Jun 26, 2010.

1. clarmayfarm

clarmayfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Please forgive my repost, but no one has yet responded. I have called my vet but they are out of the office this weekend.

I have a sweet Ameraucana pullet that is about 13 weeks old, and she became suddenly weak last night, head hanging, seems to have little muscle tone. When I move around her, she will pick up her head and look normal for a few seconds, and then slowly go back to head down. She is eating, however.

It is a possibility that she ate some cow feed (wet brewers grains - consisting of pressed wheat and hops) - I have read on this thread about botulism, and flushing the crop, which I did last night. She seems no worse this morning, but no better either.

any ideas? I hope it is not Marek's, although I cannot say for certain she was vaccinated as I purchased her at a farm store.

thanks for any help...

Beth

hit

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Could she be ailing from the heat? It is stinkin' hot in NJ and you are south of here. What temps have you been experiencing there?

Keep her somewhere very comfortable, not too hot and not too cold, all needs close at hand, no others pestering her, while this is being sorted out.

Keep her hydrated. See if she'll take a bit of watermelon or cut up grapes.

Look at the 'sticky' at the top of this section and try to answer all the questions here so there is as much info as possible for folks to go on.

I had a bird suddenly go weak as can be 2 years ago and rushed her to the vet (something of a feat as it was Labor Day [of course it was] and no one was open but finally got someone to open, for a price). Blood work showed results consistent with infection and/or inflammation of unknown origin. Antibiotic and antiinflammatory had her a million times better by the next day but I felt like she would not have made it without the meds. The trouble with those symptoms is that it can be very many things and your little one may have something completely different than whatever ailed Ellie (who today is the picture of health).

You can try calling other vets though I know it's difficult. They often won't plug in without seeing the bird.

JJ

3. clarmayfarm

Jan 5, 2010
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thank you for your message...I have called a couple of other veterinarians, and they could not even see her, on a Saturday. Dogs and cats first, I suppose I understand [​IMG] It HAS been hot here, but the hottest days were Wed and thurs...yesterday was relatively mild (< 88). All the larger chickens have been panting, and I provide water with ice cubes, lots of shade in the trees.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Ameraucana/EE - 13 weeks old,

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Holding her head on the ground, staying put in one place. When startled or I walk up to her, she can put her head up and walk, but her head settles back down when she stops. She was eating and drinking last night, now has stopped eating at all.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Less than 24 hours

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have been desperately reading these threads, and I wonder about botulism or some sort of toxin. It is a possibility she ate some fermented calf feed yesterday.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Stopped eating today. I have given her small amounts of water and vitamins, "nutridrench" today via mouth.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Have seen none...

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I tried the "molasses/baking soda/salt" flush last night, also have given LS50 (lincomycin/spectinomycin) in her water.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I must take care of her myself, no veterinarian available...

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use: Large chicken house, freshly bedded with pine shavings every 2 weeks. Spacious, but hot. Chickens have free range of yard / gardens for about 8 hours each day.

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be wrong, but unless those brewers grains had a really sour/foul smell (didn't smell yeasty) I wouldn't suspect botulism. Do you have any antibiotics on hand - oxytetracycline or one of the sulfas like Tylan? You might want to give her a dose today and tomorrow. At least the Vet will be available Monday if she doesn't improve.

5. clarmayfarm

Jan 5, 2010
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I "flushed" her crop again this afternoon, and gave her more nutri-drops, some yogurt, and water with soda.

She is up and eating, almost like a new bird, albeit a bit weak.

PRAYER WORKS!!!

6. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Quote:my silke doing the same thing but not eating

7. clarmayfarm

Jan 5, 2010
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Hi there, try the "flush" it may work. I used water with baking soda and molasses, and then gave her vitamin drops. I kept her hydrated with about 1 cc of water every few hours, needed as hot as it is here. Maybe this will work...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by