If you candle an egg on day 16-17 and see a mass but no veins...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    like others what would be in it? I could definetely see veins in all the rest so im thinking somethings up with that one?

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Sounds like it died. If there are no veins then it's been dead for a while, too. Does it swish if you rock the egg?

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    I had two at lockdown that I swore had blood rings toward the bottom of the egg and I could not see veins!! While candling them, if you can find a clearer spot towards the air cell, hold the light at the top of the egg while holding the egg and tap on the egg... You MAY be able to see the chick move but you have to watch carefully because it can be subtle... I found two live chicks by doing this and didn't end up killing them through an eggtopsy!

Goddess [​IMG]

4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Quote:swish? like can i hear something swish?

5. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Quote:GAH...that's my other egg she's sitting on! I still see veins and thought i saw TEENY movement so I'm PRAYING that one hatches out soon! She's got 5 youngins already hatched to watch over so hopefully she give these 2 a firm chance...idk about this one though...we'll see..i'm not removing it till its 72 hrs...its only been 48 tonight i think so i guess i'll keep the hope alive and pray for the best! thank you both!

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Mama2B&D&...Chickens :

Quote:swish? like can i hear something swish?

No, I mean the fluids and and mass swish if you move the egg. A response to you moving the egg not movement on it's own. If it's dead, when the veisn break down they tend to settle into a kind of puddle.​

7. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    OH ok...no the mass stays still and so does the air sack...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by