if you could buy any bator what bator would you buy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dar, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i am thinking about buying a bator but i dont know what kind i should buy

and the options what options do these come with?

i know there is a auto turner and i am liking that but what else?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG]

Wow, another thread I'll have to watch. I've been wondering this myself.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    A Hova Bator 1588 again and again! It has the auto turner option and is so easy to use, anyone can have successful hatches. All you have to do is literally add water and plug it in! There is no adjusting and temp. swinging. I've always had great hatches. I would never buy anything else! [​IMG]

4. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    I have never used a hovabator but my dream bator is a Dickey!! [​IMG]

5. Alfe

Alfe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Hovabator Genessis 1588

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If money were no object a full size rcom with the usb link to a pc or a cabinet incubator so I can hatch dozens if not 100s of eggs. I don't really need a cabinet bator though. They are impacted less by external temperatures and can even be run outdoors in various weather but I can't really handle more than a couple dozen chicks at once.

http://www.jmtdistributors.com/rcom-pro-20.html

http://www.jmtdistributors.com/rcom-suro-20-n20.html

If we are talking something more cost effective that will still hatch well a hova genesis 1588. It has just enough features and an electronic thermostat to be a step up from cheaper versions of hovas without costing an excessive amount for a small bator. Plus I like the design and shape of the hova better than other styrofoam bators.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:You really might want to do some research on those ones before you make that kind of investment. I've not heard great things about them. Just sayin'.

8. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:You really might want to do some research on those ones before you make that kind of investment. I've not heard great things about them. Just sayin'.

And just what is wrong with a Dickey? I can tell you mine works and hasnt caused me any problems.. When you get right down to it, A Dickey is no worse, or better than the Sportsman, it just depends on what options you get on either incubator.. Either is better than strofoam. Styrofoam bators have also hatched many a chick.

I really like the looks of this one. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=41326

9. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    I have a $40 tractor supply bator.(little giant or something) It always holds a steady temp.I add humidity by misting the eggs every few days. I dont use a hydrometer,& I turn with the egg carton method. I get the same 2 out of 12 deliverd eggs to hatch that every one else does. With eggs from my birds, I've had 4 hatches of 7 eggs and every single one has hatched. My friend gave me Sumatra eggs & 7 out of 9 hatched(his eggs were a bit dirty) I think people put to much enfasis on the bator,& not enough on the egg source.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I could live on my farm, I'd have a Dickey incubator and a Dickey hatcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by