If you could only have one breed . . .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Manda07, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Manda07

Manda07 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    If you had to stick with only one breed for laying what would it be. What's the nicest, quietest, breed you would pick that was a great layer. What would you pick to be the only breed in your coop (if you had to choose, I know sticking to one breed isn't everyone's thing).

2. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I think for a combination of quietness, egg-laying, cold-hardiness, foraging, temperment and beauty, it would have to be golden-laced wyandottes.

1 person likes this.
  3. Manda07

Manda07 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    They are sooo pretty..I hear they are great for small backyard coops.

4. Plottner

Plottner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Finchville, KY
    I would choose white leghorns. Mine have given me large eggs daily even through the winter, My other girls have dropped way off in production this winter. My leghorns also have a great demeanor as well. One of them lets my 3 year old pick her up.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x2 White Leghorn. Best layer I have ever had hands down. Quiet and can be made tame with a little effort. Excellent bird.

6. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    Wyandottes...definitely Wyandottes! Colorful, cold hardy, decent layers, and meaty, if you choose... after all a person can only eat so many eggs. I like BLRW's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by