1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If you could only have one duck: male or female?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HJECG, Feb 24, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    I'd like to have a pet duck, and he/she would live with my 6 backyard chickens (I'd provide duck-appropriate extras like water for splashing, etc). From what I am reading, a single male duck may be quieter, but he also may be sexually aggressive toward my hens. So I am leaning toward a female Pekin for my pet duck. Do you think a single female would be happy with chickens (and me!) for friends? Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yup, a girl would be the way I would go - too risky with the mating problem. I would also get two girl ducks. I think since you would not be with the duck 24/7 it would be best for her to have a friend of her own species.

3. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Are you looking for a quiet duck? If so, Pekins might not be the way to go. I have heard they are chattier/louder than the normal female, but I am not sure if this is true.

4. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    I live in the city so having a loud duck, who was loud much of the time might become a neighbor issue. So I don't expect a duck to be completely silent all the time or anything, but if my duck were as loud as a rooster and as loud as often as your average rooster, that would be a problem. But from what I am reading, while a Pekin might quack some for brief periods when something catches her interest, she/ wouldn't be calling out with her quacks like a rooster does. I hope that makes sense :)

5. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Yes it makes sense :). I was just throwing it out there. It was just what I have heard, but sounds like its not true!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners make noise when they are trying to get my attention. My neighbor said when I am not here they don't make much noise.

7. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times (well maybe not that many), The only "quiet" duck is a Muscovy! Some are ugly I admit, but some are downright pretty too. Very quiet, very friendly, wag their tails like a dog, beg for food like a spoiled dog, extremely good mothers, you can have males & females as neither are noisy and don't quack (unless in extreme distress), taste good and nowhere near as greasy (about a third less) as any other duck and they lay several times a year and the eggs taste good and are excellent for baking. They forage which cuts down on the feed bill.

You've read the pros, now for the cons, there are always some cons, right? They can fly and roost on your roof or your neighbors house....( I pinion mine on day one of hatch and mine never fly). They aren't nearly as much a water duck as other ducks, but if you have an outside pool, they will find it unless fenced or enclosed. They poop, but then so do other ducks.

I have over a dozen of the "French" white Muscovys and for me it is very relaxing to sit out in the large duck pen and have them fuss over me and watch their antics. I have neighbors near and my 10 chickens (no roosters) are 100 times more noisy than my ducks. Even if my nearest neighbor was a mile away, I'd still have the Muscovys.

Now, I realize that the Muscovy is not for everyone, but if you could spend 15 minutes in my duck pen, you would be won over......[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  8. farmgirlsomeday

farmgirlsomeday Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    This is all great info. Thanks!

9. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Yup, Pekins are LOUD. Actually most ducks can be. I have had 8 different breeds and the only quiet ones are the Muscovies. And when my ducks want to be loud, they are SUPER loud. For a pet, I really recommend the Muscovy. I admit I was one who was turned off by the caruncles, but really, they are so personable. And when you get used to them, they are beautiful. Some of the colors of the breed are just gorgeous, all ranges of the spectrum. My black Muscovies have such an incredible iridescent sheen to them, my chocolate and white scovy is so pretty. I saw a lavender at the shelter and it was so beautiful. They are so calm, and will be much more "pet" like than many other breeds. But since they are so large, and you want to put them in with chickens, I definitely recommend a female. Plus, the caruncles are much less on the girls.

10. bigbadwolf38

bigbadwolf38 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    Whichever way you go, get 2.
    Ducks are social creatures and love to interact...I don't know if they would be happy with just chickens.
    I have pekins, and they are LOUD!!! My neighbors have ducks (1/4 mile distance) and I hear them...
    and beware, they are like little pigs...very messy and love the mud!
    But I wouldn't trade them for anything! Have Fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by