If you don't feed/water overight how many hours are we talking?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't generally do this BUT the weather has plummeted and the redesign of the barn makes it impossible to have heated water in every section so i am pulling feed/water from the adults tonight.

How many hours do you normally have this gone for? My birds usually go in @ 6PM mind you it's horrible out, -15C windchill and snowing, it's always dark by 5pm so i am betting they will be wanting in sooner tonight.

My typical let-out time is 9-9:30am because during the week i have kids to get to school... sorta feel badly but nothing else i can do, the temp has been steady up till today... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. Frundette

Frundette Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    NC
    Our bantams are in a small a-frame tractor style coop where putting water and food up in the roost/next box area would be tough, so they've never had food and water overnight. Mine have been going to roost at about 5:15 over the past week or so. I let them out around 6:30 in the morning. They do usually head straight for the food when I let them out, but hardly ever get a drink in the first few minutes, so I don't think they are overly thirsty.

Edit: And now I feel slightly silly because I just realized this was in the "Ducks" subforum. That "New Posts" link gets me in trouble...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    LOL, that's okay easy to do. My chickens still have feed/water there coop has a heated dog bowl, unfortunately my ducks when we expanded it disallowed the access to keeping water to each area, but i think they'll be ok.. none are little anymore(youngest 4mths)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by