If you don't feed/water overight how many hours are we talking?

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
I don't generally do this BUT the weather has plummeted and the redesign of the barn makes it impossible to have heated water in every section so i am pulling feed/water from the adults tonight.

How many hours do you normally have this gone for? My birds usually go in @ 6PM mind you it's horrible out, -15C windchill and snowing, it's always dark by 5pm so i am betting they will be wanting in sooner tonight.

My typical let-out time is 9-9:30am because during the week i have kids to get to school... sorta feel badly but nothing else i can do, the temp has been steady up till today...
hu.gif

Last edited:
Our bantams are in a small a-frame tractor style coop where putting water and food up in the roost/next box area would be tough, so they've never had food and water overnight. Mine have been going to roost at about 5:15 over the past week or so. I let them out around 6:30 in the morning. They do usually head straight for the food when I let them out, but hardly ever get a drink in the first few minutes, so I don't think they are overly thirsty.

Edit: And now I feel slightly silly because I just realized this was in the "Ducks" subforum. That "New Posts" link gets me in trouble...

Last edited:
Our bantams are in a small a-frame tractor style coop where putting water and food up in the roost/next box area would be tough, so they've never had food and water overnight. Mine have been going to roost at about 5:15 over the past week or so. I let them out around 6:30 in the morning. They do usually head straight for the food when I let them out, but hardly ever get a drink in the first few minutes, so I don't think they are overly thirsty.

Edit: And now I feel slightly silly because I just realized this was in the "Ducks" subforum. That "New Posts" link gets me in trouble...

LOL, that's okay easy to do. My chickens still have feed/water there coop has a heated dog bowl, unfortunately my ducks when we expanded it disallowed the access to keeping water to each area, but i think they'll be ok.. none are little anymore(youngest 4mths)

I NEVER give my ducks food and water over night to keep their hut a little cleaner. They have gone as long as 12 hours without food or water (if you pull water ALWAYS PULL THE FOOD). they are hunfry in the morning but i think they are alright. I understand with the cold weather it being hard to keep water from freezing i made a quick and cheap pen for them and have them in my attached garage. I found 4 relatively similar lenghted boards screwed them together put 4 small wooden posts (sxraps i found at least 2 or 3ft tall). And bought chicken wire for $30 and zip tied it around the structure.
Its not square or very secure but for a few days in a safe contained garage itll work! Haha! Especially as i dont have the money to buy a full on pen haha.

I NEVER give my ducks food and water over night to keep their hut a little cleaner. They have gone as long as 12 hours without food or water (if you pull water ALWAYS PULL THE FOOD). they are hunfry in the morning but i think they are alright. I understand with the cold weather it being hard to keep water from freezing i made a quick and cheap pen for them and have them in my attached garage. I found 4 relatively similar lenghted boards screwed them together put 4 small wooden posts (sxraps i found at least 2 or 3ft tall). And bought chicken wire for $30 and zip tied it around the structure.
Its not square or very secure but for a few days in a safe contained garage itll work! Haha! Especially as i dont have the money to buy a full on pen haha.
This is an old post lol. Something to do with the update.

Back
Top Bottom