If You Don't Like UConn Women's BB Then You're No Fan

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by woodmort, Dec 22, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Let me begin by saying I've not only played, officiated and been a life-long fan of the game but I coached HS girls' basketball from 1977 through 1985, only leaving when there was a surfeit of BB coaches in the district and they needed someone to coach volleyball. (That's another story but let it be know that the seasons were concurrent at that time.) At any rate our '77-79 team held the section 4 win streak record--a modest 24 but that was back in the day when there was no state playoffs( sectionals were the limit) and the teams only played 14-19 games a season. That record has since been broken a number of times but, at the time. it was a big deal. At any rate I needed to establish that I know from whence I speak and I have never seen a team play as well or as consistently as the UConn women--not just this season but over the last dozen or so years. I watch a lot of college basketball ( and almost no professional) and those women play the game the way it is meant to played: with good defense, finesse and intelligence. While Wooden, Krzyzewski, Boeheim and Knight are people I admire greatly as coaches, I haven't seen a better example of anyone putting together a team like Geno Auriemma. If ever there was a coach and a program that deserved the win streak and the attention it is getting UConn is the one. If you think basketball is slam dunk, muscle out of position and posturing after every basket, then go to football or rugby--if you want to see a beautiful game watch the women's game in general and the UConn Huskies in particular.

2. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I think they have a great team and program no question.......but........................ are you comparing this to the UCLA streak? [​IMG]

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Absolutely, if anything it is better. Remember the UCLA streak was done back in the days when the Pac-8 was a very weak league, NCAA tourney was 4 games to the championship (the NIT was the BIG season ending tourney in those days), less travel and the play was less sophisticated--no clock or 3-pt shot. Then as now it was 5 on 5, two baskets and one ball. And I remember that streak as well and watched ND end it. BTW, I was in San Diego in 77 when Wooden won his last game/NCAA title.

Actually the biggest thing that has prevented any college men's team from coming close to 88 games is the fact that so many of the better players leave for the pro which guts most teams at the end of the season.

4. RoeDylanda

RoeDylanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Central CT
    I know!! They're my local team and it's a pleasure to watch them. DH has been a fan since back in the days of Jen Rizzotti (sp?), and I've been a happy convert from the PC Friars men's team. What a team! Auriemma's a gem.

5. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    The local media is covering the UConn streak here also.

What I don't like is people who say "Dominance like this is not good for the sport"
    Whattt???

Their claim is.... "any team capable of destroying all comers takes away from the parity of the sport and doesn't allow other teams/fans from having a shot at being #1".
    And....."winning every game, every time, becomes boring after a while".
    That's ridiculous!

Dominant teams like UConn are exactly what's needed to bring attention to their sport.
    Thanks to the Huskies, attention is focused on the sport like it's never been before.

And don't people like to see juggernauts in action? I sure do. It's like watching a perfectly tuned machine in action. I remember in the 80's, when the Neb Cornhuskers played our outclassed Gophers in college football. What a treat that was! The Huskers were all precision, speed and power! Overwhelming and amazing, every play! And yet people started leaving in the 2nd quarter because the game wasn't competative??? Hmmm....that's sort of like leaving halfway through the '73 Belmont because Secretariat was scorching the field to win the Triple Crown.
    I don't understand that.

Parity is boring. It's a coin-flip. Dumb luck often determines the winner when all else is nearly equal.
    Let's have our powerhouses... where continous winning is based on extraordinary skill and talent!

Go Huskies!

spot

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I don't think it needs to be compared to any other "streak." Something like this stands on it's own. I am not a fan of basketball for a variety of reasons, but any accomplishment like this deserves recognition. JMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by