If you happen to be an alpaca shaman this post is for you

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by barngirlsrule, May 4, 2011.

1. barngirlsrule

barngirlsrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    So I'm your average chicken-loving teenage girl and if there's anything that can match my love of poultry- it's alpacas. And I've been thinking about getting some for the farm and I've proposed the idea to my dad who had me at the words "can we get" and "alpaca", so needless to say, he's in. But meh madre probably won't be as easy to use my amazing mind-control powers on so I'm taking the smart i'm-a-mature-person-because-im-going-to-research-alpacas-and-get-advice-from-people-with-experience-so-that-i-may-be-well-informed-while-i-present-my-case approach. And thus I thought about my dusty, long missed chicken forum friends and was wondering if you guys knew anything about alpacas by either experience or over-indulgence of random alpaca-related trivia questions.
    I've done some basic research and i have a couple questions you guys may know the answers to:
    1. So apparently alpacas are herd animals so i'd have to get 2 at minimum to keep them happy. But out of curiosity would they fit in with horses?
    2. Myth or truth: they chase off coyotes.
    3. Who nowadays buys alpaca wool? (if answer is no one then change question to: how does one make a pair of excellent socks out of a chunk of alpaca fleece?)
    4. Do alpacas eat horse feed or do they have their own premium alpaca munchies?
    5. do you shave them annually?
    6. based on whether they have their own special chow, do they make a profit from wool if you can sell it even if you're spending however much it costs to buy alpaca chow?

If you don't have the answers to these questions but still have useful information or advice or stories then that would be much appreciated! [​IMG]

and this really doesn't have to do with anything but i just really wanted an excuse to use this smilie: [​IMG]

2. javelina21

javelina21 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    I don't know how much the wool goes for, but we live near a group of Franciscan nuns who buy it from a few local farmers. Also, if you get an alpaca that's been around horses before, you may not need two. A herd is a herd, we've had goats & horses together as a "herd" & it worked out just fine. I've heard they'll chase off more than just coyotes, should be fun to watch! Good luck with your mom! [​IMG]

3. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:#1> Yes, they are herd animals & do better with 2 or more, but will accept horses as their herd
    #2> Truth...and dogs, anything small that they think may be a threat...unless they are raised around them...they accept the ones they "know"
    #3> Many people that spin/weave buy good quality alpaca fleece..it's usually sold by the pound...check Ebay
    #4> PREMIUM QUALITY GRASS HAY is the bulk of their diet..suppliment with small amounts of easily digested grains like oats or pelleted herbivore diet
    #5> Yes..they are shorn annually...trim hooves & teeth every 3 months
    #6> ?????? depends on the quality of the fiber & your know-how at processing it

I suggest you google info & learn everything you can about alpacas BEFORE you get them...especially nutrition requirements.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by