If you have chicks 14 days old, come here.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ButtersMama, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chirping

Feb 28, 2011
    I'd like to know if this is typical behavior......when the chicks get ready to sleep, they all cuddle together and bite at themselves...like they are itching.
    One chick that is pure white, I can see definate redness around the neck and base of tale feathers. I do not see mites, but the chicks seem to be itching. Is this typical? Is it typical to see the very pink skin so well on a white chick?

I've posted about this but can't seem to get an answer, so I'm trying this route....

Thanks!

2. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Songster

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    It is pretty normal. They are not biting themselves but in fact grooming/preening themselves. At 2 weeks those new feathers are pretty itchy as well.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What KatieBugg said.

4. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chirping

Feb 28, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG]

What about this???
    Is it typical to see the very pink skin (very irritated looking) so well on a white chick?

5. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    yeah its pretty normal at 2 weeks the fluff is leaving and the feathers are starting to come in and its like hair growing .. it itches..lol...so they do pick at it , just be sure to watch that they dont get a sore and blood or others will start to peck it too.

6. motoclown

motoclown Songster

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    Mine are scratching and preening themselves.
    I was a little worried about the scratching since my 6 from TSC were scratching more
    then the other 32 from Meyers Hatchery, but all seems well.

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    they are just preening. if they appear to be biting themselves it's because they are still learing [​IMG] you can see thier skin best because they are molting into thier first set of adult feathering. scractching is probably because new feathers are itchy.

8. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chirping

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks everyone. This is a busy place and I do appreciate people replying. I think I'll just take it all as normal and will watch. I just don't want them to suffer. I read about mites and people using Sevin dust!! OMG...that stuff is poison and I would never use that on the chicks to get rid of mites [​IMG] I hope they don't have mites.

9. FREEZE's CHICKENS

FREEZE's CHICKENS In the Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    Quote:

10. taprock

taprock Songster

Nov 1, 2010
    Northern L.P. Michigan
    Mine are 14 - 16 days and I'm finding their fluff all over the house right now from all the preening. I think they have about graduated from front room box to basement dog crate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: