if you have gravel and/or sand in your run, or stock tank pool?

dawnjoennikki98

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
New Jersey
Hey everyone. I'm going to have gravel and sand delivered this weekend. my pen is 16 x 20 feet. i was going to start with 3 inches gravel, then 3 inches sand on top. Any advice or opinions?

Also I am going to be getting one or two 100 gallon stock tanks, with the side drains. How do you all get the muck out of the bottom when you clean it, if you have the tank in the ground?
I'm thinking after draining it, there will still be water and some muck in the bottom, right? Thanks for any advice!
smile.png

Dawn

Last edited:
Hi Dawn, your plan for the gravel and sand sounds good.

You will find it helpful to install a drain and valve (tap) in the bottom of the tub you are using for a pool. I'll try to take some pics of my setup a bit later.

I have a 3oo gallon stock tank, but it's not in the ground, just on top of it. With a ramp, one outside for ducks to get into, and a Wildlife Escape Ramp inside for animals or other birds that fall into it.

Here's what I've done with my swimming troughs. Sorry about the bad photos - was a bit cold and dark this morning (a chilly winter in these here parts) and neither the camera nor I were at our best!! Sorry about all the gross dirt too (but it is a duck pen....
wink.png
)

One with a drain that passes through the sand under the tub and out through the timber wall of the pen base to a valve (the thing with the yellow handle)
80856_p1060258.jpg

Here's another setup with a trough on top of a cut-out section in the base. The drain sits in the cut out bit so I can access it easily.
80856_p1060263.jpg

80856_p1060261.jpg

80856_p1060262.jpg

It drains to a sump and is pumped onto the garden from there.
80856_p1060264.jpg

This is the fitting that I have used for all inlets and outlets going to and from the troughs.
80856_p1060266.jpg

sand buildup could be a problem in the bottom of the tank... The ducks will track it in inevitably, maybe use some gravel around the perimeter or some smooth stones, I know one guy used a kitty litter mat at the exit/entrance ramp area while the rest of the pond was surrounded by stones. the high traffic zone was thus able to cut down on hitch-hiking sand.

otherwise the sand/gravel idea is great, i'm currently converting my run to all pea gravel now that the devilish geese have destroyed all the live grass completely.

Just as an easy solution, without having to put any drains in, etc. we just half buried our stock tank. It's open on one end, and the ground is built up on the other end. Been easy to drain that way, and the ducks just go in and out on the side that's flush with the ground.

My pen is about that size. I was planning on the rock and sand thing also. How many ton or pickup loads of each are you getting?

The tanks don't weigh that much. I've got mine set on the surface of the ground. Drain it and then tip it on its edge to wash it out.

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I do. I drain it and then I wedge a bit of wood under one corner of the tub to raise it up so the remaining water drains out. Then I hose it clean and refill. With one tub I have a rope on a pulley that I use to raise one end, meaning that I don't even have to bend down!

Having the tub sitting on the surface definitely makes life much easier than burying it when it comes to emptying and cleaning.

Make sure your drainage under and immediately around the tub is excellent. Mine are sitting on a bed of gravel or coarse river stones. The ducks splash out a lot of water and without fantastic drainage it will turn into a bog. The drainage should be good enough so that water immediately, instantly drains away when it is splashed out.

I also have concrete pavers and/or rubber matting surrounding the tub as they hang around it all day, pooping. Having a hose-able surface in the tub area makes life easier.

Back
Top Bottom