If you have Read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, so Ive read the book and now our teacher wants us to do a book report.

The topic is :
    Explain how the author uses the setting to tell the story

Ive got an idea or two of what to write but otherwise im totally lost. What do you get out of that?

2. jazzyfizzle

jazzyfizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ohio
    Tell us what you think and we'll go from there [​IMG]

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    LOL![​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    havent read it recently but...

what is the setting?? Its the future right??

And what is the story?? Something about people reading books (oh noes the horror) and the crazy overbearing government burning them (very very vaguely.. it was ages ago!!)

So... 'How does it being set in the future help with telling a story about book burning?" thats basically the question your answering right??

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I read it, but I also read 1984 and it is all scrambled together somehow in my brain...... [​IMG]

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I think the future is used to show what will happen if we allow the government to erode our rights one by one.

8. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok - well Im thinking that because it was set in the future all the veiws have changed since the dawn of * books are bad*

I also think that Montag's household life is a setting since his wife is preoccuipied with physical possesions and the money montag brings home rather than hism - leading to no true emotions and opinions from others not being a welcomed fact.

Im also kind of thinking that because the people have burned the books and we now have no history to fall back on the people in the story have no true purpose in the life following.

In the end I didnt get it - did a bomb really blow up everything and Montag lead the people into a new beggining with books or....?

9. jazzyfizzle

jazzyfizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ohio
    I think you have some good thoughts there, and books are always colored by our own interpretations and experiences. I love books, and even though this book is always considered a must read, and always graces the top fiction of all time lists, I wasn't impressed by it. Given the premise, I thought I really would be, but wasn't at all. In fact, I was kind of disappointed in it.
    So I don't envy you having to write a report on it! [​IMG]

To me, the setting is a bleak future where humans are attempted to be made as drone-like and predictable as possible by the government. The powers-that-be think reading might lead people to having their own ideas and thinking outside of the regulated 'box'. Mmm.. that kind of sounds familiar... LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by