1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

if you have silkie hatching eggs or know someone who does LOOK HERE

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by boykin2010, Dec 26, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I got a little giant still air incubator for christmas and i will want to hatch some silkies in february or march. If you have any silkie eggs for sale that meat the description below i wrote below please post! Here is the descriptions for the silkie eggs i want.

1. I definatley want white silkies. I also would like to have buff and lavendar also. The perfect setup would be 4 or 5 white silkie eggs 3 or 4 buff eggs and 3 or 4 lavendar eggs.
    2. I DO NOT WANT SHOWGIRLS!!!
    3. I would like for the parent stock to be small and have all the good characteristics a good silkie should have.
    4. I would really like for you to post the fertility percentage of your eggs before i buy.
    5. One of the most important is that i do not want any expensive eggs. The most i would like to pay is around 2$
    6. Also below post some pics of the parent stock so i will know what the chicks will look like.

Thank you for looking and by the time mid february to march comes around i will contact you to let you know about the eggs.

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Have you posted in the "wanted to buy" section? You'll probably get a better response there.
    Good luck!

3. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    should i copy and paste the same post in wanted to buy section?

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Hmmm pretty good description of the eggs you hope you can get but Im going to be honest-you will not find lavender silkie eggs for 2$ each-not even pet quality...If your looking for show quality you are not going to pay 2$ an egg either--PQ MAYBE but definately not show/breeder quality. There are alot of fabulous silkie breeders on here selling their eggs-but not for 2$ an egg-your looking for eggs that are going to run you 5$ each- at least. You can search the BYC auctions, and at times, someone will offer a really great deal because their silkies are laying up a storm and they don't want to waste them for eating...but if I were you Id prepare yourself to pay more than what you stated your willing to pay-they are worth that much $ since the breeders spend alot of time and money on their flocks improving-improving-improving. I wish you the best luck..

5. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Sonew is right, you are going to have to look hard to find eggs for the price you want to pay. Any breeder eggs are going to be more than that, in the range of $5 each. Also, I don't know of any Silkie breeders that sell Lavender eggs by themselves. If you find them, they will be in a mixed auction or sent as surprise extras. The reason for this is, there aren't many of them and the people that do have them are trying to get them to the standard that was just accepted to the APA.

Good luck in your hunting!

6. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok well i guess i could pay 5 or a little more for some eggs. i dont care if they are sq. I really dont want to spend a fortune on eggs though. I have found some awesome deals on ebay that are like 6 silkie eggs for 6$ but i dont want to buy off ebay because i would rather support the people on BYC.
    If there are no lavendar silkies then that is ok. I am fine with just white and buff eggs. I guess splash is pretty too and i could get some of those.
    Thank you for the input. I guess since i have really only looked at the prices on ebay i didnt know that could get to be more for each egg.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:There are a few great breeders on ebay too, dont get me wrong-some of our BYCer's sell on there and other sites as well. But yes, Im afraid the eggs will run you more than what you thought-- 6$!! for 6 eggs??? was that an ending bid??? or starting bid?? Either way I think that is a mistake or typo???
    Sundownsilkies on BYC sell gorgeous Buff's-and her eggs are affordable too 30$ for 6?? so yup in the price of 5$ an egg-the whites hmmmm theres a few of them on BYC too-all I can think of is first names though not BYC names-but their auctions dont pop up that often:-( Their eggs go for 5-10 an egg...look at the auctions right now thats up-that will give you a good idea of how much eggs are going for-this way you'll know what your up against Come Feb or March - [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Like look at Judy's egg price and birds--beautiful right??? https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433136
    She starts hers at 25$ and shipping is 9$ more-now these will go for more than that because it is not a buy it now auction and her birds are great!

Here's Sundowns auction ( it's closed already) fabulous deal-shipping includedl!!!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=430701 gorgeous buffs [​IMG]

then you have CJexotic eggs -80$( doesnt include shipping) might seem like alot of $ but your getting 48 eggs!!! that is less than the 2$ egg you originally wanted to spend!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433096

all great deals-I guess what Im trying to say is that you will have to cater to the breeders prices-they will most likely not cater to yours because of the hard work they put into their birds are worth what they are asking already and then some... I wish you the very best finding what you need [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  9. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Also, come February or March you're going to probably see the bid wars start and the eggs will go higher. If you have the incubator now, I would seriously start watching the auctions. April is prime time for the spring chick season, so march will probably bring some hot auction competition.

10. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    sonew and acid are right.
    You can get silkie eggs for $1 each if you are lucky, but they are not what you describe above, but they will be technically "silkies".
    Really nice silkies with the qualities you describe will cost a lot more. Also hatch rates on silkies can be very variable, and a high end incubator will help hatch rate.
    Ebay is probably your best bet for cheap eggs as you can get a really good deal if you time it right (ie when virtually no-one else wants to hatch, like now not in February), and as stated above a lot of the people selling eggs on BYC are selling on ebay as well (see same names and pictures are same).

Good lucK!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by