If you just got Baby chicks ,please read this may help "RECIPE FOR SUCCESS"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tsiecz, Feb 14, 2014.

1. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    I posted this once before ,but after reading all the difficulties people are having ,I decided to post again,My chicks were raised in my (none heated garage) in October...60 degree days with some low 30degree nights, Just wanted to share my story as it may-may-not help raising your chicks. This was my first attempt with chicks.I did alot of reading here so I said lets give it a shot.
    I ordered 25 chicks (received 26 extra BR) . 5 each,-all poults, Buff Orpingtons,Easter eggers,White Brahmas,Barred Rocks,and Speckled Sussex. I received them Oct 9, hatch date was the 8th. They came to my post office and I was there first thing to pick them up. I wasted no time as the brooder was set up the day before and ready to go. (in my garage) Wire rabbit cage app 30" x 48". I put card board on the top, bottom and sides making sure they would have no drafts.
    Each chick had their beak dipped in there (warm ) water bowl (sugar added) as they were introduced to the brooder. Newspaper on the bottom of the brooder(minimum amount of pine bedding(so they could find the food) with food(chicken starter) spread out.They drank like crazy.I did have one chick that was a little lethargic but made sure I got her to the waterer by hand every hour for the first four. She survived.
    Day 2 continued sugar water (1 tablespoon to 1.5 gallons) added upright feeder
    Day 3 no sugar , just added Braggs apple cider vinager (1.5 tablespoons to 1.5gallon)to their water source (no pasty butt for this bunch) .
    Week 2 added more pine bedding to the bottom.
    Everything else went as planned move light up every week.
    They drink alot of water so make sure you check daily as there are times I needed to add more during the day.
    @ Week 6 (November)they were moved out to the coop. I did put the heat lamp out there just to be safe.
    They are now 11 weeks all survived , No losses. Just sold 13 healthy chickens as 13 is my max. My last flock was 10 but I just needed 1 extra....ok 2 extra.....aaah OK 3 extra . Im addicted !!! Enjoy ,and hope this helps. Give it a try!!

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    White Brahmas?

3. momofthehouse

momofthehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    Love this. Since it has been awhile do you do anything else different or added? I am wondering what kind of light you used and if you have any pics from when they were in the brooder? I am having 15 chicks and it sounds like you did a good job at keeping them healthy. What kind of "sugar" do you add to their water?

4. tsiecz

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    EXCUSE me!!! It's a brahma.

5. momofthehouse

momofthehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    There are "light brahmas" too :)

6. tsiecz

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    Yes light Brahma instead of white...LOL I stand corrected.... First time with brahmas for me but I like the bird.I will have to see how they do laying eggs in another month or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by