If you keep meat birds and dont process them whats their life span?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bock_Bock, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    My grandma and grandpa was wanting to get some just to feed all their food scraps to, so i was wondering how long could they live or since they grow so fast do they cull themselves?

2. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    awesome question! i want to know too [​IMG]

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I kept one for a few months. I didn't know any better. He got to be huge. About the size of a small turkey. He keeled over at about five months or so. I don't remember exactly.

4. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok so we got the age at 5 months, does it defer from diffrent meat birds such as the diffrent cornish x or are they mostly the same?

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    another side question are they flighty birds or is it they grow so fast they cant pick their wait up?

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems like a layer breed would work much better for that purpose- plus it would give you eggs.

7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i was just thinking meat birds as they eat alot more lol and would make great compost for gardening is sorda a win win situation, also what age do they lay eggs, i know they have to as more chicks have to be hatched i am new to this whole meat bird thing cant you tell

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Haha, I've never met a layer that wouldn't eat all the scraps you could feed it! I don't think a Cornish X would thrive in that role because they need a specific diet, and they need a STEADY diet. I think it would be more trouble than it was worth trying to keep them on table scraps. Also, most will die of natural causes before they start laying.

9. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    There are people on here who have kept meat birds for more than a year or so, but it's quite a chore. You have to monitor their feed and LIMIT what they eat so their weight is kept under control. This seems counter productive to what you're trying to do. I would think layers would be a better option. The can (and will) eat anything you throw at them, the poop up a storm, and they can live a nice, long, healthy life. (And you get fresh eggs to boot!)

10. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok layers it is i was just wondering because the feed storwe around here only had meat birds no more chicks so i was just wondering of getting a couple for grandma and grandpa, but now i think of it giving them a meat bird is so setting them up for disapoitment thanks for talking me out of it lol thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by