If you knew then what you know now...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EmilieDu, Aug 30, 2010.

1. EmilieDu

EmilieDu New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    Hi everyone

My name is Emilie and I am a pre-chicken keeper. I plan on aquiring the birds from a local keeper in mid October, once we have moved into our new farmhouse and have built the chicken theirs. I am wondering what people think was the most important lesson they learned in the beggining of their chicken keeping lives. What do you wish you had done differently? Let me know!
    Thanks everyone
    Emilie

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My getting chickens did not involve any planning. One day no chickens, just talking to friend about taking hers (in several months). Next day She showed up with 3 chickens and a hutch/coop.
    I wouldn't change anything. It's been a fun ride, but the first day I was totally NOT prepared for the size of the poop. OMG, my chicken days almost ended the first day. [​IMG]

Imp- I'm now one with the poop.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I wish I would have kept a med kit for the chickens. Having our roo die at 13 weeks really made me realise I need to have more things on hand to start treating them right away. I also wish I had build a secure run instead of having to hen sit every time the hens are outside.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Ever since my son and daughter in law bought me my first chicks 3 years ago, I've been hooked ever since!! I love my chickens, and like others have said, wouldn't change a thing!! [​IMG]

5. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Your coop and or run is never big enough. simply because in the near future you will want to get more chickens. So build yours bigger than you think you will need.

6. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:Very true! I started out just wanting a couple, then purchased 13 (hence my screen name), but now I am the keeper of 56 birds. I am working on building another coop and run so make sure to build it bigger than you ever thought you will need because it wont take long to fill it up!

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Read everything you can about coops before you get one, and make sure it is one you can clean easily!

8. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    When one of your (favorite! [​IMG]) hens goes missing, LOOK EVERYWHERE! She may just be under the deck, brooding, and a racoon might eat her. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I wish I had made my coop much bigger. And had planned on adding more coops to keep different breeds separated.

10. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Just go ahead and buy the whole rolls of hardware cloth. Overbuild. Be prepared for a new level of fun, and a new level of your relatives and friends thinking you've lost it! Realize no one will believe you that there are chicken saddles and chicken diapers.

You will be addicted to BYC. Resistance is futile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by