If you live in an area where it freezes do you keep water outside?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Nov 2, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Would a water heater with a light bulb prevent freezing outside? I live in zone 5 and it gets well below freezing most of the winter. I am hoping to not have to keep water in the coop...

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I recomend a heated dog bowl for outside. TSC carrys one there for $20.

3. gale65

Quote:We bought a heated dog bowl for our dog and it didn't even last one winter. I'd rather use a light bulb type heater-I would trust it more.

btw I think I'll use the busted dog bowl to hold a flock block this winter.

eta: I wonder if we just got a bad bowl. It cost about $30 at Ace Hardware and is red and square. I notice a lot of people use heated dog bowls here on this board. At any rate I don't think I could talk dh into another one. He was pretty ticked off about the one that quit.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:We bought a heated dog bowl for our dog and it didn't even last one winter. I'd rather use a light bulb type heater-I would trust it more.

btw I think I'll use the busted dog bowl to hold a flock block this winter.

eta: I wonder if we just got a bad bowl. It cost about $30 at Ace Hardware and is red and square. I notice a lot of people use heated dog bowls here on this board. At any rate I don't think I could talk dh into another one. He was pretty ticked off about the one that quit.

I would of returned it.

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I don't particularly care for heated dog bowls, but it is really a personal preference, not a reflection of their function. You can see my page for our set up. Basically 5 gallon bucket and poultry nipples with a bird bath deicer.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I did not find it necessary to keep water outside. The chickens know where to get a drink in the coop. When free ranging, they drink from puddles, flower pots, etc.

Keeping the water inside also helps it from freezing.

7. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I keep my water outside--the way my coop is set up there is no way to protect stuff on the floor from poop from the roosts (trust me on this!) so it's easier to keep food and water out in the run. In the past I just always removed the waterer at night, dumped it, and refilled it the next a.m. MOST of the time it warms up decently during the day around here so usually this worked. But sometimes it didn't and I'd come home to frozen water. [​IMG]

So this year I bought a heated waterer. So far, so good! I turn it on when it's going to drop below 32F and I no longer have to dumpa and refill--plus I always know that my chix have liquid water when I'm not home. [​IMG]

8. gale65

Quote:It was past 30 days so we had to contact the manufacturer. They said we'd have to pay to ship to them and for return shipping back to us so it wasn't worth it.

9. gale65

Quote:There was water around our waterer in the coop (it's a top fill fountain type) but it's not leaking so I put it outside. I don't want it to happen again. It is up on blocks (about 12" off the floor) but somehow it either leaked or they made a heck of a mess with it. It isn't leaking now so I don't know if it leaked just for a while or what happened but I thought maybe it would be better if I kept it outside. That's why I'm thinking about just keeping it outside all the time.

10. LindenLiving

LindenLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Freezes here as well so my solution is to bring warm water out in the morning and again in the evening when I toss them some scratch to get their internal heaters working for the night. This year I am placing the water bowl in a bed of straw to help insulate it and keep it from freezing to quickly. Usually the sun does warm up the bowl enough to keep it from freezing during the day. No electricity out in the coop area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by