If you mix colors of buttons what will you get?

smallbluejellybean

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Kings Park NSW Australia
I am just wondering about the genetics of buttons.
eg. if I crossed wild with say white what would I get?
or if I crossed wild with silver?
or white with silver?
I don't think we have cinnamins here in Australia, so that option is out.
Could you give me an idea what to expect when breeding colors together please.

It would depend. If the wild carried white and you bred it to a white, you'd get 50% white and 50% wild. If you breed a wild to any recessive color, you will get 100% wild unless the wild carries the recessive gene. Blueface is another dominant. If you breed a blueface to a wild, you'll get 50% wild and 50% blueface, provided that they don't both carry another recessive gene. I love working with genetics, however, to be honest, unless you plan to work with only a few strains, or plan to have a bunch of seperate breeding lines, I wouldn't worry about genes. Just wait, see what comes along and then you'll be able to give an idea of what's hatching from your lines. Now, if you're keeping them in breeding pairs, then it makes things easier, and you can tell who's carrying what genes after you keep track of what they're hatching.

Im betting you get button quail
lol.png

Quail are just like any other bird as far as that goes
unless you know the genetics its impossible to know what
will come of breeding different colors

The only way to get 75% wild and 25% another color is to cross 2 wilds each carrying 1 copy of a recessive gene. Crossing to another color will result in 50% of the other color or 100% of the original color depending what the bird with the dominant genetics (in this case wild) is carrying. With buttons though they aren't always just one color or another. If you cross a red breasted and cinnamon you can get cinnamon red breasted. I've also gotten ivory red breasted which is silver, cinnamon, and red breast on the same birds. Only some colors completely cover other colors. Even then you can often tell whether the button would be wild or red breasted without the other genes by the barring on the feathers. Silver on red breast will cause different barring than silver on wild. More useful on females that don't get the colored breast when silver and have more barring to their feathers. If you have a good eye for detail then the only color you can't tell majority of the other genes they are carrying are solid whites and double factor blue face. Double factor blue face comes out nearly solid black if put on colors like wild, red breasted, pearl... On silvers it makes slates without any barring. Unfortunately my blue face, cinnamon, red breasted died before it reproduced. That was an interesting bird.

Quote:
I bet I do get quail . . . ha ha ha ha.
So funny!!!
gig.gif

I was interested as a couple of my wilds have recessive silver and white in them.
I am also looking at getting some more silver and whites.
Here in Australia the only other colors you can get are silver and white. So thats all I have to play with.

Just can't wait to see what I get. It's like a mini Christmas in a bator!!!

Back
Top Bottom