Rooster with Bumblefoot

Pastel the Rooster

Free Ranging
Apr 22, 2022
Southern Georgia
Hey, I'm worried that my rooster, Pastel, may have Bumblefoot on his toe, because I feel something hard. When I get the chance I will see if I can get a picture. Tomorrow I am going to buy Blu-Kote. I know that you are supposed to soak the foot in Epson salt water, than take like a scalpel and make a small cut to try and get it out? I've been watching videos, but all they are doing is making me confused. Help!!

A scalpel is usually not necessary. After soaking to soften the scab, take your thumbnail and scrape the scab off. Most of the time the pus kernel will lift out with the scab. If it doesn't, you will need to scrape it out. The pus is hard like wax. Don't be concerned with any of the white stringy stuff that seems attached to the wound.

Clean the socket well and pack it with antibiotic ointment and bandage to keep out dirt.

A scalpel is usually not necessary. After soaking to soften the scab, take your thumbnail and scrape the scab off. Most of the time the pus kernel will lift out with the scab. If it doesn't, you will need to scrape it out. The pus is hard like wax. Don't be concerned with any of the white stringy stuff that seems attached to the wound.

Clean the socket well and pack it with antibiotic ointment and bandage to keep out dirt.
Okay thank you! Later I will try to get a picture! I am worried about my two Guinea eggs with pips... they have pipped about 24 hours ago, but the last time I helped guineas hatch, the two I helped died, so now I am terrified. Please get back soon because I am spending the day helping at a horse barn!!!

Back
Top Bottom