IF YOU THINK YOU CAN REHAB A ROO....GOOD LUCK.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katyoh7, Feb 20, 2014.

1. katyoh7

katyoh7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2013
    Hi,
    First of all thank you to all of you veteran chicken owners who read my posts of my roo attacking me etc. Thank you! Thank you! I'm embarrassed now. After all of my care taking of this rooster, him attacking me twice, he arose and now after being exiled by his 13 hen 5 roo flock, he attacked me again. Well, I sent him to freezer camp. Thanks for being patient for my stupidty. I've learned my lesson. I love my roosters. They protect the girls from the hawks, but don't attack me. It hurts! Thanks everyone.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He may have been so aggressive because of the other roos. One rooster can handle 10 hens, 5 roosters are going to be overbreeding the hens and getting into a lot fights because of the competition.

3. katyoh7

Nov 26, 2013
    No. That was not an issue. My other roos do not act that that. Even the ALPHA. They have total respect.

4. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Some roosters just get like that when they hit maturity. It is a good idea to try to keep the roos having 10 hens to themselves if possible cuts down on the hens being overbred and seems to keep things calmer. I think alot of it has to do with genes in the roos. Its a hard thing though because they are doing what mother nature teaches them to do and thats protect agaisnt predators. Should of found somewhere to butcher him and had him for dinner. At least get some use out of him.

5. katyoh7

Nov 26, 2013
    Thanks Pimento for your input. I don't even eat chicken anymore as I'm so bonded with my flock. I know it's crazy but there I am. I have learned a tremendous amount since raising this flock and I totally respect the roosters. Their job is incredible. Therefore I don't take it personally if they attack me. However, this roo is out of control. Or was. The alph roo and other roos do not do this. They are totally respectful to the hens and to me. It was a learning experience for me. I didn't want all these roos, but I guess that is what you get when you have to order a "straight run". Therefore, I got what I got I and I dealt with it. Again, thank you for responding.

Katy

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Some roos just cannot be tamed down or put in their places. I believe that some of them just have a loose screw. [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Ya, agree, genetics just make some roos a problem that way, even if they are raised "right".

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright we all live and learn [​IMG]

9. katyoh7

Nov 26, 2013
    Thanks to all of you! I so appreciate all of your experience and input![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by