If you use pesticides and DE read...Bee news!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GwenFarms, May 8, 2008.

1. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    According to this report things aren't any better this year. I think this is something we should all be aware of and I made an oath last year to no longer use any kind of pesticides around our farm that can be harmful to bees. Remember, most pesicides like DE and Sevin can be taken back to the hives on the bees and can potentially destroy a whole hive. Here is the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24500059/

2. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Thanks for the information. We are getting bees for the first time this year and the more information we know about the safer you hope our bees will be.

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Please remember that DE in and of itself, is NOT a pesticide. Food Grade DE DOES NOT have pesticides in it. You CAN buy DE with pesticides in it but it is not food grade. Bottom line though, any DE will kill bees. No one would take food grade DE themselves if there was even a hint of pesticides in it. Lets not start rumors here!!! Thanx!

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:So true, and after my own investigations I can say that using food grade DE and having honeybees is not mutually exclusive. Don't compare food grade DE to Sevin - Sevin is something no one should be using near any food product at all! It definitely killls honeybees dead, as well as many other beneficials. DE that's been used in a coop setting will not harm honeybees so don't worry about it. Sprinkling it around a hive is definitely a no-no.

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Quote:I'm not starting a rumor. I've done alot of research on this and any DE will kills bees. DE is an organic pesticide, food grade, or otherwise and will destroy bee hives.

Editing because I just saw Reinbeus post. I wasn't intending to compare sevin to DE in anyway, but, regarding bees, the end result is the same.

I wasn't intending to ruffle any feathers here...I just saw the lastest research results regarding hive health and know that it is discussed alot here. Thought some folks might be interested.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  6. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Organic or not food grade DE kills critters "physically", and not because of a chemical reaction.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As far as I know, DE (including food grade) that is put out where bugs etc will come into contact with it IS A PESTICIDE from a legal standpoint.

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/What-Is-A-Pesticide.htm

As spatcher says its mode of action is mechanical, not biochemical, but it kills little critters nonetheless.

That said, there are pesticides and there are pesticides. Soap and lysol, for heaven's sake, are pesticides (when used as such); I think most would agree that they are not quite the same sort of thing as, say, DDT [​IMG]

The effect of DE on a bee colony is going to depend heavily on whether it's located somewhere the bees are likely to come into contact with it. Dusted onto flowers, it would be a problem. Under the shavings inside your coop, not so much.

Pat

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    EXACTLY!
    DE will harm bees as well as any other insect.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    EXACTLY!
    DE will harm bees as well as any other insect.

Only if they come into contact with it.

For most purposes, it needn't be used in such a way that bees would come into contact with it.

Pat​

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    From what I understand, DE (diatomaceous earth) is simply finely ground volcanic rock. It's use to kill insects comes from the fact that it is so sharp it cuts the exterior shell of soft shelled insects and I think hard shell insects ingest it and it damages them internally. It's very different from a pesticide. I don't know if it harms bees, but it's helpful to understand that.

Many pesticides act chemically on the nervous systems of a critter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by