If you want True Ameraucanas this Spring ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by herechickchick, Sep 24, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I just placed my order with John Blehm, President of the Ameraucana Breeders Club and it looks like he still has some space on his chick list. So if you are after pure Ameraucanas check him out at Chick Hatchery .

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I picked up ten this spring at my local feed store through Townline in Zeeland, MI. Colors varried greatly and one of the girls is not a girl, but drop dead stunning beautiful. I'm thinking about trying to hatch a few in the spring if I can. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions?
    8 hens are white with spots....one hen and rooster are brown/red. I'm wondering if I should only breed the brown/red or inclued them all.

3. Jaimi

Jaimi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    North Central Alabama
    From what I understand, if you got them from just a local feed store, 99.9999999999999% of the time they arnt pure. They will be crosses or EEs... Hatcheries don't often carry pure stock of the breed.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Very True. That is why buying from a breeder is important if you are after TRUE Ameraucanas.

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I'll preface this question by saying that I'm brand new to chickens, so hopefully you'll understand my lack of knowledge [​IMG], but... what differentiates a true Ameraucana from an EE? I have 3 "Ameraucana's" that I bought from a very good feed store in town. I understand that they're probably EE'rs, but curious as to the difference and how I might be able to tell. TIA!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You can go to the Ameraucana breeder's club to read all about them pure ameraucana. They are an ABA and APA recognized breed, should be bred to the standard of perfection and can be shown. EEs are cross bred - typically show some ameraucana characteristics, but not all. There is no standard for EEs and they cannot be shown. Both make great pets.

http://www.ameraucana.org/index.html

Jody

7. DougD

DougD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
  8. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Woohooooo! This place is actually close enough for me to pick them up instead of shipping! I'm so excited.....Now, which colors do I want? Thanks chickchick...I'm sure my husband will love you for this! lol

9. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Thanks, for the input. I've been looking at all the info any you are right...I have the ee's.
    I've gotten (my family thinks) un-naturally attached to the roo I got by mistake and one of the hens and will probably try for chicks in the spring anyway, but it is not with the goal of showing.

10. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Thanks for the references!

Sadly.... I think I've fallen in love with the Blue Ameraucanas. Since I don't live anywhere near any of the breeders listed, I might be looking into purchasing some young chicks by mail next spring [​IMG].

Of the 9 (yes, I'm new to poultry!) pullets that I have, one of my EE's is the sweetest, friendliest bird. Since the day I brought the chicks home (about 3 days old) she's been "mama's little girl". I love the way she "talks" to me and follows me around! ::: sigh ::: chicken love at first sight!

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by