If you were a chicken which would you prefer?

Well, I bought some of the dried mealworms, that brand, purchased at my favorite feed store. Pro: no worry about keeping them, as they aren't alive, so no container of mealworms in the fridge. No handling wiggling live mealworms. Grown up pullets like them.
Con: REALLY expensive. Chicks don't like them much. And I have discovered I really wanted them for chicks, to introduce them to high-protein treats. (And watch the frenzy....) No frenzy with dried mealworms, no interest at all. They DID eat them, finally. Ho hum.

Regarding the sunflower seed sensation, my chickens are perfectly happy with BOSS, which is much cheaper.

I won't be buying any (more) of either product.

Hi,
Wow $12.99 for 2 lbs of the sunflower mix!!
Yikes thats $6.50 a lb!

The dried meal worms come out to be over $60 per lb!!!

Personally go buy them a salmon fillet or some canned tuna in water or fry up some hamburger for a nice high protein treat the birds will go crazy over.
All much less expensive, and the birds will love you and go crazy over it..
wink.png

ON

Last edited:
Even hulled sunflower seeds at the food store are cheaper than that. We buy it out of the bulk bin. One good thing about the hulled seed, is that it's easy to grind it a bit and give some to younger chicks. It's a good source of methionine, which is needed for growing feathers. Chicks are constantly growing new feathers. As a "scratch treat" for younger chickens, I like it better than corn. Adults handle the unhulled just fine. Although, they do still adore the hulled and I do use it as their special treat or for bribes/training.

Too expensive!

I would go buy myself a nice rack of lamb for $20 and give the bones to the chickens. (They adore them!) I might add a ripe cantelope to my dinner menu & give the rinds to my hens.
D.gif
love.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom