1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If you were starting over with a little coop what would you get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OScarlet, Aug 6, 2013.

1. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    We are building a 4x4 coop constantly open to a run and plan to later build a daytime run for when we are around to supervise. We live in San Diego so very little super warm weather and really mild winters. We have two dogs but they are unlikely to be chicken safe so the chickens can't free range.

I think we have decided we'd rather get bantams but aren't 100% on this.

I don't mind paying for some fun exotic ones and would prefer a mixed flock so some variety.

What would you get? Why? Would you get what you already have or would you choose differently this time? I'd like friendly chickens but my kids want eggs. DS (17) really liked the look of silkies until he read that they tend to be broody. I like pretty chickens, DS likes 'silly' looking ones.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Silkies Bantams are a great choice, yes, they are a broody breed but they do well in both hot and cold weather. I think you'd also like a Barred Rock Bantam (mine are really nice and lay often) and a Brahma Bantam and maybe even Easter Egger Bantam (colorful eggs and the one's I have are also really nice).

1 person likes this.
  3. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    DS (12) thinks he might want an EE. Thanks for the help :)

what would you get if you were starting over? would you get the same again or something different for variety? What would your dream flock be?

4. elsiebb

elsiebb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2013
    Oregon
    We got our first flock this Spring. We picked them for their looks, six different breeds. They are just starting to lay, all light brown eggs. I wish we had picked them for their egg color - I'd love to have them all laying a different color!

1 person likes this.
  5. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    In my dream flock, I would own a lot of the breeds I've had before because they've brought me a lot joy. I would have lots of bantam roosters, like Cochin Bantams, Phoenix bantam, Modern Game Bantam, Cubalaya, Naked Neck and hens of all of these. I'd have turkeys, peacocks, guineas, horses, ponies, rescued mustangs well basically a giant petting zoo with any animal I wanted.

I would also want Dorkings, English Orpingtons, Polish, Dutch Bantams and so much more. Someday, I'll get there but for now I just have to complete my education.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by