If You Were to Bet the Farm on One Breed . . .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeccaOH, Jul 19, 2010.

1. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I have a curious question for today:

If you were to bet the farm (so to speak) and lay all your breeding eggs in one main basket [​IMG], what breed would you choose?

Would you import something?

Would you buy a breed or color newly imported by someone else?

Would you invest in an ongoing project like Lavender Orpingtons, or Mille Fleur Cochins, or Silver-Laced Brahmas, or something even newer?

Or would you simply look for something rarely found through hatchery that you could build interest in selling stock from?

Or, finally, would you go for a tried and true breed that everyone loves and offer it locally so that your neighbors can bypass the hatchery stock?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    Have had so many breeds and i would say around here the red sex links are the egg machines,Had them start to lay at 15 weeks.So they sell out hers fastttttt

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I would (and am) put all my stuff into my Ameraucanas in LF and Bantams in several varieties. This is my real life plan as well to have three different breeding pens of bantams, two breeding pens in LF and and maybe one project pen plus my call duck hutches and my BBS swedish ducks and my project swedish ducks.

My Bantam Choice would be:
    *White
    *Wheaten/Blue Wheaten/Splash Wheaten
    *BBS (I already have these)

My LF choices would be:
    *White or Buff or W/BW/SW
    *BBS

My Project Choice would be:
    *BBS Mottled Ameraucanas in bantam or LF

These are not "rare" in my area but there are only about four or five of us who really value the breed. I'm just starting in my exhibition poultry venture so I guess you could call me an upstart.

4. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    No that this is the intent of the thread, I'm keeping in mind a "change in the world that we know" sort of scenario, (i.e 2012 scenario).

I would choose a dual purpose breed that grows relatively quickly (table size in 16 to 20 weeks) lays a relatively fair amount of eggs (150 per year is a good number) is hardy, goes broody once in a while, and can forage for a good deal of it's own feed. Basically a "traditional" type of bird. I'd either keep a mix of colors of one breed, or a few of a couple of different breeds that were very similar and keep selecting for those traits. There are several breeds that fit my above description: Non-production strains of Plymouth Rocks (any color), RI Reds, NH Reds, RI Whites, Chanteclers, Buckeyes, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Sussex, Dorkings, Faverolles, Brahmas, and Giants. Granted some of these last breeds are stretching it a little bit. I'm also sure that there might be other breeds as well.

If we were selecting for those above traits, we could select for a partridge breed with a pea or rose comb that can get to about 10 pounds live weight in about 20 weeks. The hens lay an egg every other day, while they are roaming the yard, fields and hedgerows for seeds, grasses, legumes, and bugs. But if a full-grown hen gets to about 10 pounds, I'd not be surprised if the mice around the homestead start disappearing. [​IMG]

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    The wonderful dual purpose, friendly and fun Delaware.

6. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Yes, I'm basically asking what is best to invest in that might make enough money to house and feed the flock. (Don't expect to get rich on any poultry.) My investments so far have been a bit all over the place without clear direction. I'd like to "specialize" in one or two main breeds.

Keep your responses coming. It is interesting to hear what others value. [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would probably pick Large Fowl silkies. [​IMG]

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Quote:I wasn't aware of "large fowl" in silkies. [​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I wasn't aware of "large fowl" in silkies. [​IMG]

There are some overseas. [​IMG]

10. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    How exactly do you want to make your money? Selling chicks? Selling hatching eggs? Selling eggs at a farmer's market? It all makes a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by