If you woke up as a duck one morning...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck_feeder, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    1. What breed, sex, and color would you be?
    2. What would be your favorite food (based on your favorite food as a human but taking into account restrictions in duck diets)?
    3. Where would you be in the pecking order if your spouse, significant other, parents, or siblings were ducks too?

I'll go first:
    1. Runner duck (I often feel the urge to move around and be active). Male because I'm male and don't want to deal with laying eggs. [​IMG] I'd be blue as that's my favorite color.

2. My favorite food is a good ribeye steak, but that isn't exactly safe food for a duck. I guess mine would be meat flavored cat food! Then again in my bachelor days I was known to pour frozen peas in a bowl, defrost it in the microwave, dump salt on it and eat it with a spoon for dinner...

3. Nettie and I would be similar to our ducks Victor and Ming Mei. Victor is in charge but always chooses to do whatever Ming Mei wants. [​IMG] I'll let Nettie say which of us is Victor. [​IMG]

2. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Welllllll, I'm short and loud and I got hamster cheeks.....
    I'm all freckly too soooo
    I'd be a speckledy call duck!
    And my favourite food is beetroot so I can't see that changin jus cos I'm a duck!

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

First I'd let out a great big WHAT THE DUCK?! Which would startle anyone nearby with it's scary quacky (to them, in my head it's still English with maybe a few choice words in German, Yiddish, Italian, French) screechiness, turning in circles to survey the damage, and wacky wing flapping (which to me feels like wild arm gesticulating)... then after I'd figured out I was stuck in this body I'd take a gander in the nearest pond and see...

A Mutt Female and Funny Looking since I'd keep falling on my keister, snorting water through my nose, and scaring/annoying myself every time I poo on my own foot as I learn my new faculties. I'd be feeling guilty for all the white bread (empty carbs) I consumed and would hunt out any veggies I could find. Those poor vegans... came to the park for a romantic picnic and were attacked by a hunger-induced-insanity-laden duck. But, once I found my flock... well I'm pretty bossy (eldest child, wife and mother) and good at finding my niche... I'd say in the top 50% (if not top 75%) of the flock. The fact that I'm a research fiend and would probably be able to point out all the choices spots for food and the worst for predators thanks to my sneaky recon wouldn't hurt.

4. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    I think about how I wish I could be a duck for a day all the time.

I would be a muscovy. I'm quiet, like dancing, and would want to be able to fly.

I don't think I would like laying eggs but boy ducks aren't allowed in my home so I would have to be one of the girls.

My favorite food would be strawberries or lentils. Not too much different there.

I would start my day with a yummy snack, a refreshing swim and then take a long nap. After my nap I would take a flight around the neighborhood to see what is going on and do some duck yoga. I would dabble in the mud puddles, eat some weeds, find some bugs, watch the clouds, and snuggle up with my buddies under the tree and take another nap. Dinner time, an evening perimeter check of the yard for any bugs I might have missed, and tuck into the house for a long safe sleep.

I would be the big boss as always. I remind my bossy duck who is really in charge so it wouldn't cause a big disruption in the social structure of the flock.

5. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I REMIND MY BOSSY DUCK ALLA THA TIME!!! He still not havin any of it! Took 40 mins to get him to bed. He made me put the wellies on and climb into the pool and fish him out. Then he refused to go up the ramp, then he started to sneak back down the ramp. He a rotten little thing!!

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I would be a female call duck for sure.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I wouldn't much care what kind of duck I was- I'd just want to go live with TerrieLacy! [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I would be my own duck.

Doesn't matter what breed, gender or state of health.

I know I would be taken good care of and spoiled rotten to boot!

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:HAHAHAHA You posted at the same time I did!

10. priss

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    TerrieLacey I saw your goose on Bob Tarte's facebook page and thought, I totally wanna request her to be a friend cos that is one great lookin gooose! But then I didn't wanna be a pest so I didn't and now I see you are the same person on BYC I can ask for MORE PICTURES OF THAT GOOOOOOOSE. IT'S A GREAT LOOOKIN GOOOOOSE.
    Pleeeeees?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by