if you're illegal, how many chickens do you have?

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
I'm illegal, and i only have 4 girls. i got them last spring as chicks and they are now 8 months old and doing great!! they are also very quiet....with the exception of Audrey and Cricket singing the egg song when they first started laying....they don't even do that anymore. So, i'm getting 6 more chicks this spring. But that will be IT! lol....seriously though, i think 10 is enough for me in my situation. they free range in my entire back yard, which has a 6ft privacy fence. So, my question is, if you're illegal, how many chickens do you have? And how long have you had them?

Last edited:
I'm illegal in NC too. I have 8 (had 10 but the dog got 2). I got my girls in August and then the 1st of October. So far, so good. My town ordinance is ridiculous.

I keep my "legal" chickens in Norco. I have several here in Riverside though... about thirty or fourty, plus thirteen full grown turkeys and a pair of geese.

Quote:
i'm really curious, how's your leghorn workin out for you? i REALLY wanted a white egg layer, i wanted a leghorn so badly! but everything i read on them said they were loud and liked to fly. i can't have either. my girls dont even try to fly the fence and i like it that way. AND all the other white egg laying breeds i've read about basically says the same thing....that they're flighty and nervous etc.
and yes, my towns ordinances are crazy too! makes NO sense that someone across the highway can legally have chickens, but not me! AND the post office has 2 peacocks that nobody complains about, and they're on the illegal side!
somad.gif

Last edited:
Im in NC too, i was illegal....I kept anywhere from 15 to 20, I even had 3 roo's! all my neighbors liked them, I had them 4 yrs. with no complaints! then one very early morning a drunk guy ran through my yard with cops chasing him & woke my roo up! well, it cost me my chickens! i tryed to fight the city ordinance, i thought i was doing ok, then i lost.....very heart breaking! but i will try again!
old.gif

Its supposedly against our community bylaws, but since I've never seen them or signed them, I'm not entirely sure the bylaws actually exist. In any case, 90% of my neighbors are breaking these bylaws (yard decor, trashed vehicles, storing RVs, boats, tied up barking dogs, etc.) and since the committee can't stop any of that, I figure they can''t stop my chickens and ducks. There's a couple flocks per street, so this is a popular idea. And we're allowed to have them via our county laws, so there you are.

I have almost 20 ducks and around 15 chickens, including two cockerels/roos.

Quote:
i'm really curious, how's your leghorn workin out for you? i REALLY wanted a white egg layer, i wanted a leghorn so badly! but everything i read on them said they were loud and liked to fly. i can't have either. my girls dont even try to fly the fence and i like it that way. AND all the other white egg laying breeds i've read about basically says the same thing....that they're flighty and nervous etc.
and yes, my towns ordinances are crazy too! makes NO sense that someone across the highway can legally have chickens, but not me! AND the post office has 2 peacocks that nobody complains about, and they're on the illegal side!
somad.gif

If they fly you can cut the wings off ( youtube ) My Dominique she is very noisy and I just shush her. I'm also Illegal, Cobb County.

It always frosts me to read about city ordinances that prohibit chickens. I love all animals, and have to say between the ferel cat population and the constantly barking dogs, chickens pale in comparison.
Best of luck to you guys!

Quote:
somad.gif

I've got three brown Leghorns but I'm not impressed. Their eggs aren't any larger, sometimes smaller, than my EE's. Only two lay regularly. The third has always been smaller and has a slowly wilting comb. Any time I hear a big raucous from
the coop it's one of the Leghorns. I think they're pretty and I got them to have a few large egg layers for baking. I don't think mine fly any more than the others, but they are lighter so when they do fly they can get higher. They are flighty and nervous though. They're the only ones that jump out of the nest boxes when I open them up.

I really have no idea how many chickens I'm allowed to have. I've tried finding out but were in the county, not the city. Everything I've found refers to the city.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom