Igloo baby abandoned by moms. ???? Any advice ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barbara4rb, Jul 20, 2008.

1. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi, The saga about the hens in the igloo continues. The two moms who've been on eggs in the igloo have hatched out a total (so far) of 5 kids. Two days ago there were 2, yesterday 3, today now there are 5. Today when I walked over, the moms were sitting side by side and when they moved there was one baby squashed under them. I think this one hatched out today. He was on his back, couldn't get righted, flailing around. The moms ignored his cries and didn't care that I was trying to get hold of him.

I managed to get him/her? out, poor thing was all dirty, shivering, eyes not open. So I warmed him up, gave him a small drink, and he's perked up. Still wobbly. He's not walking much at all, so didn't put him back in the chicken jail with the moms.

I have him home with me, in a box w/ hay. I put raw rice in a baggie and warmed it in the microwave to keep him warm. Gave him a few more drops of water. Overall he's perking up, sounds stronger, eyes are open. Even tried to peck at my hand.

Question: If he get stronger and more sure footed, can I put him back in the chicken jail with the 2 moms and his siblings? How long have I got (do you think) before he wouldn't be accepted?

Any advice for caring for a single chick will be much appreciated. Thanks!!

PS I'll try and get pictures tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They can't count, so as soon as it can be up and running like the rest, it can go back.

3. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Under the category of "The harder we try...."

Good news and bad news.

Last night I had the abandoned, squished kid here and he did really well. Kept him warm and fed him ground up grain in yogurt+water. By this AM he was pecking and had eyes open, moving about just fine. YAY. So I load him up and head south to the property.

First the bad news. I get there and the two moms, who yesterday were sitting side-by-side on the kids had beaten each other up! Both have bloody heads. One mom had the other 4 kids in the igloo, and came out to attack the other mom. I managed to get 2nd mom out.

Both are droopy. Here's a pic of the 2nd momma once I got her out:
    [​IMG]

She did go and hang with the other chickens all afternoon, albeit, still droopy.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the first mom in the igloo with the kids. I enhanced the photo to try and show her:

[​IMG]

Later this afternoon she had the kids out. I think they all had eaten. She then moved them back into the igloo.

Good news! The little houseguest we had last night did just fine with mom! He was under her when they were out resting, and climbed back in when she went in the igloo. In fact, in the igloo pic, he's the one on the right.

SO, please advice what I should do??? I'm hoping both moms heal and get back to normal and that igloo momma can raise those kids.

Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by