1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Igloo hen blinded in fight. Suggestions for treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barbara4rb, Jul 23, 2008.

1. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi,
    The ongoing saga of the hens in the igloo-->then moved to the chicken jail--> happy for a few days, then beat each other up protecting their joint group of chicks..... Yesterday I separated the hens, one stayed with the kids and the other went out with the other free range birds.

Here is a link to my previous post.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=73881

Today the hen was sitting by herself in the grass, and it was obvious that she couldn't see. The two hens had pecked each other on the head (other hen appears to be OK, tending the chicks). This blind hen is walking into things. Both eyes appear shut /swollen? I know yesterday when I moved her, she was seeing because she followed the other chickens. I can see in the picture I posted (above link) that I could see her eyes. I am hopeful that maybe the eyes are OK, but she has swelling from the injuries on her head?????

I caught her today and gave her a big drink of water. I tried to rinse her head, forget it! I left her by herself with chicken scratch, white bread (it has a yeasty odor, I know she can smell it) and pan of water.

I think I can catch her again and will try and doctor her. Not sure what to do. ????

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I don't have any advice, but I wanted to say sorry this happened. It's turning into quite the soap opera!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Are her eye balls pecked or are her eyes just swollen shut at this time?

4. barbara4rb

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I can't really tell the state of her eyes in the pictures I took of her yesterday. The pic posted (yesterday) looks like the right eye was not damaged. I can't remember on the left eye, nor did a get a pic of it. I know she could see because she moved away from me and then went off following the other chickens.

Looking at her today (no camera) looks like the eyelids are shut and swollen. Doesn't appear to have any fluid/blood on her face.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Well..to start, she needs to be separated from the others in a dark, quiet place. Put electrolytes in her water and start her on poly-vi-sol drops three times a day. She'll be able to find her food and water if she's in tight quarters. You can buy terramycin eye ointment. McMurray hatchery has it as well as many other poultry/vet supply places. Don't know about TSC. I would put 5 grains of aspirin in her water. That will help relieve the swelling and help control any pain she may be in. Don't give ibuprofen. Ideally cool compresses to her eyes several times a day would be in order if you can manage it. You aren't going to know the shape of her eyes until the swelling goes down and she can open them. Do you have a vet that see chickens nearby?

6. barbara4rb

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    OK, I can put her in the workshop in a big dog crate. Small, semi-dark and quiet.

Can I put gatorade in her water for electrolytes? I know my friends with box turtles use gatorade for their babies and sick turtles.

I see Poly-Vi-Sol drops are a multi-vitamin supplement, so I assume I can drop it in her mouth? How many drops?

The eye ointment I dab on her eyelids.

I know I can pick them up at Walgreens. (Or should I try and find a vet supply to get vet-grade meds?)

Dumb question, I have 325mg buffered aspirin which says it's 5 grains each. So do I grind up one tablet and put it in her water bowl?

I'll be lucky to get the drops and ointment into/on her.... she probably won't stand for compresses. She's basically a free-range girl.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll take care of this in the morning.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  7. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I would go with the gatorade just because you will be able to get it easy.
    And she should be able to smell it and find the water better.
    You can also get Liquid Bird Vitimans in the pet section of Walmart for about $2
    Just add 6 drops to a quart of water.

You will probable need to put a soppy wet cloth on her eyes to loosen them incase they a re stuck shut. Then apply the antibiotic eye ointment.
    YES YOU CAN GET IT AT TSC. Its a very small tube in a white & yellow box.

GOOD LUCK

8. barbara4rb

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Good news on the hen! Today when I drove into the property, she was still in the carport. I wasn't sure if she was seeing me or hearing me. I opened the garage door and she followed me in. Is she seeing me??? Still not sure. I got some scratch and tossed it to her, and she sorta pecked at it.

Went back with my friend to help catch her, eye ointment in hand.... and she took off with the other chickens. We finally did catch her, boy she was screaming her head off! We found that her right eye was open a tiny crack. We put ointment on her eyes, and around her face, placed her in a large wire dog cage with scratch, gatorade+aspirin laced water and let her be.

I went back a few hours later and viola! Her right eye was completely open and she was definitely seeing me. !!!! :))))

I did take close-up pictures of her when we were doctoring her. DOH! I left my camera at the property. GRRRRR. Will take more pics tomorrow and post them.

Will continue to keep her in the cage and will do ointment daily.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  9. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm glad to hear that she's doing better!

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I'm soooo glad she's better. Makes you feel good, doesn't it? Keep up the good work...she'll be like new soon. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by