Igloo hens beat each other up. Help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barbara4rb, Jul 21, 2008.

1. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi
    I posted the happening at my property on the thread concerning the abandoned chick. I think it needs its own thread.

Bottom line, the two hens who sat on eggs together for week and were happily tending new chicks for 3 day beat each other up today. Not good. Have them separated. I explain here in this post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=73881

Guess two mommas can't be in close quarter with new chicks. ???

Thanks

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I just have to say that I think it's funny that when you title your post "Igloo Hens" I know exactly who you are speaking about! They've become rather infamous.

I also think there's nothing funny about the fact that they're fighting. I guess they each are protecting their 'babies' from the other hen. Maybe you could dig up another Igloo and split the babies between the two of them??? [​IMG]

3. barbara4rb

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Too late on the splitting the kids. Yesterday when I found them, one had them all in the igloo, the other outside in the corner of the jail. Got the one hen out so she didn't get hurt any more.

I worry that the one hen in the igloo won't do a good job with the kids since she's all beat up. Not sure what I can do to help her.

We've had such a time with hens and chicks. Last year only 2 chicks made it. It's like we'd start with 11, then 8, then 5, then none. So we fenced off the ditch, where dogs/coyotes could come in, but coons come over it.... then built the chicken jail. Worked well. HECK the girls were all happy until yesterday. I'm just abit frustrated.

Heading down this AM. Will keep you updated.

4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Well, all you can do is keep a close eye on the babies. If things start to go downhill, it might be a good idea to have a brooder set up for them. At this point they might be better off being raised by you.

5. barbara4rb

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    Good news! The igloo hen is acting very hen-like. Sitting on the kids, scratching in the dirt, clucking at them and giving me the stink eye. She marches them into the igloo if you linger too long around the jail. PLUS we have a new addition. Chick #6 was in the group today. I've posted a picture here, showing them all. The black chick is our newest addition.

Our little abandoned guy, who was named Fred, is keeping up. In the photo, he's the 4th one from the right. Not bad considering 2 days ago he was flat on his back, squashed by his then-2 moms.

The kids are all eating the poultry starter mash. I also throw in scratch and bread and layers mash for mom.

Whew!

[​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They look like will do fine. I do not think they need scratch yet though. It will add fat to the little things. They will eat it before they eat their starter if given the opportunity to.

Good luck with them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by