Ignorant RKO People!

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
I stopped by Rural King today to pick up a 125 watt bulb for my brooder and some shampoo and this is their "chick days". I think they have 10 big 100 gallon tanks with chicks - nearly every waterer was totally clogged with shavings or empty.

Those poor chicks were soooooooo thirsty. I went and found someone who had the nerve to tell me that she personally saw the manager put all clean full waterers in the tanks this morning at 9 am so they did have water today - I politely explained the Cornish cross broilers were all out of water and they were desperate for a drink. Another employee walked up and volunteered to clean and replace all the waterers with fresh water.

How can you "ignore" those little chicks and act like they are just fine! That really chapped my butt! At least they all got a fresh cold drink - you should seen them - all clustered around the waterers!

the waterers do get dirty pretty fast it seems..i can fill mine, and the chicks will have it clogged with straw or shavings in a matter of minutes.

I am glad you found someone willing to get them water. If it were me and I'm glad it wasn't, I would want to talk to the manager and their manager and so on and so forth until they got it in their thick brain that chickes need water and lots of it!!! You did the right thing
hugs.gif

I elevate my waterers on a brick - they have full access but can't fill it up with shavings. I also clean my waterers inside and out every single day. I treat my waterers as though it might be my drink of water. If I would not drink it why should my birds (or horses) have to drink it. (That's how I finally broke my husband to clean water buckets when feeding the horses. If he added water to a dirty bucket, I used to get mad. Then I told him his next glass of water would be dipped right from their bucket - he understood then how important clean water was after that
gig.gif
)

They have waaaaaaay too many chicks per tank - they are overcrowded. Heat lamps, no thermometers to figure out the temps and on top of that, no water.

I know the manager personally - I'm pretty sure he was not in the store because those chick pens would not have looked like that.

I won't buy from RKO because they have a silly 25 chick minimum - but I do care greatly about the welfare of the chicks!

My waterers are usually sitting on a peice of plywood over the shavings. I have used news paper too. It isn't even intentional for the little buggers, but your right on about being glad that it wasn't ME there! I probably would have eaten someone for breakfast, no need of allowing this to happen when your paid to tend to them. GRRRRR. Glad you stepped up and told someone what needed to be addressed.

Back
Top Bottom