Ignorant Yankee / country music (update Page 13)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Buff Hooligans, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Hey you all (that's how we say ya'll up here), I don't know anything about country music except that Keith Urban needs a haircut, but what the heck is a "two-step"?
    I saw a video and there's lots of headbanging twirling, but what makes a song a two-step and another song not?

(Please be gentle...)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

any song can be a two-step really now a days - it just depends on what you feel like dancing at the moment [​IMG] ETA: A two step is just that - its two steps you take with a partner as you go around arm in arm/arm around waist... in a circle.. with other people..and you twirl at certain times and then go back to walking together side by side or front to back...

I myself - do not country dance - but..I have friends that do. Too many steps involved, too much doe-si-doe-ing, twirl your partner and all that stuff. Line dancing has gone nuts as well..

I'd rather just get mah groove on mah own way... all funky like [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Not really sure, but maybe it's just a song that you can take two steps this way, then two steps that way. Isn't that what two step dance is, taking two steps at a time? I be ignorant also, hee hee.

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Buff -

Actually, it's "y'all". And, in certain instances, it can be "all y'all". I'm a northerner, but I think "y'all" is a perfect word, and use it a lot without thinking about it.

A two-step (a real two-step, that is), is a quick-quick-slow step that can actually be used for a LOT of types of dancing. It's much easier to do well than people think, and it's not very hard to incorporate turns and spins. A perfect two-step learning song is George Strait's "All My Ex's Live In Texas". Actually, most of George Strait's music is perfect for two-step.

One of the cool things about two-steps is that everyone has a slightly different style, so unless you fall on your behind, there's no wrong way of doing it. I think it's a lot of fun.

I've done a lot of two-step dancing, and was actually taught to two-step down in Texas. It's a little daunting to try to do in front of Texans. But, any guy can do this well with a little practice, and guiding your partner is pretty easy too. Remeber, a man's primary objective in any kind of dancing is to make the ladt look good.

As to what makes one songs a two-step and another not, well....
    I'm not sure I can put it into words. It's definitely the beat, but then I've danced two-steps to a wide variety of country music, and a wide variety of song speeds. I guess you just know instantly.

Some other good examples of two-step songs are:

It Only Hurts When I Cry - Dwight Yoakam
    Honky-Tonk Man - Dwight Yoakam
    Chattahoochie - Alan Jackson
    Neon Moon - Brooks & Dunn (example of slow two-step)
    Boot Scootin' Boogie - Brooks & Dunn (example of fast two-step)
    Adalida - George Strait

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Geez now you have me singing Adalida again. I will have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. That and Evangeline

6. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    There are worse songs to have stuck in your head, Connie.
    [​IMG]

7. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Ahh yes... George Straight....

THE MAN.... Of course...next to Johnny Cash [​IMG]

Perfect description of the two-step AllChookUp - its hard to describe, its almost a "ya gotta be there" type of thing. If you're watching it on today's "CMT videos" they add too many things to it and make it quicker than it actually is.

She's right - its a "beat" . If you've seen the movie "Hope Floats" with Sandra Bullock - you'll see a version of the Two Step there, and a very good version how it really is done.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Sob, you lost me a "y'all".... I am devastated that I couldn't even spell it right. Perhaps I should just give up and move all the way north to Canada and be done with it.

My underpaid, overwrought research assistant came up with a blurb that said a two-step was four beats, with the first two being slow and the last two being double speed. Like ooone, ttttwooooo, onetwo, onetwo. So on my drive home last night, I tuned in to the only country station north of Virginia (it's out of Providence) and there's this really nice guy song with a "chorus" of "goodbye my old friend". Seemed like a tribute to a friend who had passed on... Anyway, the beats seemed like it would be a two-step, and I could envision the twirling. It had a quiet driving beat like Bruce Springsteen's "I'm on Fire".

So the first thing I thought was, somebody at BYC is going to know about this! Now I've got to find out who the artist was and if it's on YouTube. Back later.

9. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    We do it with two quick steps one way, then two slow steps the other, twirl and then start over. Depends on the song though, so who cares as long as you are having fun!

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Of course, this is all an academic exercise with me. Being raised Conservative Baptist, I don't have a dancing bone in my body. Can't even do dance exercise videos - hopeless...

Yup, I've gotta move to Canada...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by