IKEA Nesting Boxes

Ashb0429

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
That’s right. IKEA makes nesting boxes.

Ok, not really. However they DO make a very popular piece of furniture that doubles quite nicely as a nesting box.

This started as shoe storage for me, later became a TV stand and now has found its final home as a nesting box. I’m pretty happy with it. Especially in combo with the ready made nesting pads I ordered from amazon. It was a pretty painless set up.
I’m sure I’m no where near the first to do this but I’ve yet to see any other pictures on it. Share below if you’ve also recycled furniture as your nesting box!

(** Pic shows ceramic eggs to hopefully encourage the girls to appreciate this set up as much as I do.)

Attachments

• 32F5922D-107D-460E-8799-3C8BA4C0BF14.jpeg
    32F5922D-107D-460E-8799-3C8BA4C0BF14.jpeg
    922.1 KB · Views: 176
How big is each nest?
Might want to add a front lip about 4-6" high so eggs don't roll out when they get in there trying to kick bedding around.
Top row might need a perch out front.

I’ve not measured. They perfectly fit the premade pads though with no alteration. I’ll probably be adding the lip. I posted the same on BYC fbook group and had several who have the same setup and found the lip necessary. I thought about the perch as well. I’m very sure there will be adjustments, I just want to wait and see what they should be depending on what happens. I’ve yet to do anything involving my chickens that I haven’t had to tweak!

Back
Top Bottom