Ill 15 wk pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrsnrr, Jun 13, 2016.

1. mrsnrr

mrsnrr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    NWA
    I have a 15 wk old pullet who is ill. It started with her just hanging out in a corner. Standing up with one leg pulled up and sort of limping when she walked. She let me get close and just hold her. I checked for any injuries and didn't see anything obvious. I quarantined her with food and water close by. She will drink willingly but not very often. I tried a dropper with water and some yogurt and she drank that. I noticed some feed on her beak so I now she is eating a little as well. But still not moving. Basically just laying, sleeping in the same spot for 2 days unless I move her. I went ahead and started Corid last night just in case it is Cocci. How long does it take to see improvement if there is going to be any? Thank you for the help!

2. mrsnrr

Apr 1, 2016
    NWA
    I lost her =( Just wish I knew what it was. So far all other chickens seems fine. It's been 4 days now since I noticed her sick.

3. Casper101Popcor

Casper101Popcor Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss. What breed was she and did you identify her droppings/feces. That is a good indicator. Keep a watch on the rest of your flock; some illnesses can spread quickly.

5. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    that is heart breaking news. We would new greatful for any info about your chicken or what it was that made her sick.

6. Woobsie

Woobsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Please submit her for a necropsy! Usually your state or veterinary University will do a necropsy for very little. You can wrap her in triple layer plastic wrap and freeze her until you can find out what is wrong. Its the best way of preventing further illness

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

So very sorry for your loss.

You could perhaps send her off for a necropsy.as that is the only real way to know what the problem is and perhaps help you treat the remainder of your flock

Possibilities that come to mind are vitamin deficiency or Marek's disease which is very common in young birds of her age and can cause lameness and death.

8. mrsnrr

Apr 1, 2016
    NWA
    She was a cuckoo maran. Her droppings got watery when I had her separated. No blood visible. Honestly I didn't know a necropsy was a thing. I should have. [​IMG] I'm watching the other girls very closely. Thank you all for your help.

9. mrsnrr

Apr 1, 2016
    NWA
    That is extremely early to lay correct? I'm guessing I can rule out egg bound. Feel dumb even asking that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by