Ill Banty was head of pecking order, gets beat-up by RIR

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carrie Lynn, May 9, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My Banty Leghorn was boss and she recently entered her first molt and got a respiratory infection.
    She's in the house and doing much better. Prior to relaizing she was ill the RIR-LF has been hurting her, attacking and intimidating her.
    How am I ever going to re-integrate her? After a couple days on antibiotics I put them in the small run they've always shared, and the RIR chased and pecked her...I had to scoop her out of there. I'd rehome the RIR but my BA is so attached to her, I'd feel awful because she'd be miserable without her friend.

I've read about introducing new birds, but my RIR has already been successful at hurting her, I wonder if she'll stop??? The pecking order has done a complete turnaround with the BA just trying to avoid any hassle.
    Advice please?

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    One method that may work is to remove the hen that's causing the problem for a week or so and reintroduce the other hen during this time. Give her time to readjust to the flock, and then when you reintroduce the aggressive hen, she'll have to start back at the bottom of the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by