Ill Chick

vicegrip

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Mena AR
My wife and I purchased 18 chicks yesterday. They all look good except for one she looks like she has splayed leg in just one leg. She can’t get up to eat or drink. We hand feed her worms yesterday but to day she wont eat. She is just laying there on her side.. I have tried the band aid trick today. She is now starting to breathe a little slower than yesterday. Can some one help?

Thanks

Last edited:
if it is twisting from the hip then it is splaid leg and is not fixable with a splint. If the other leg does not go then the chicken can survive but it is not the greatest life since they tend to get sores from being on their belly so much and also will get picked on by the other birds.

I kept one like that who was fine otherwise and found it a good home as an indoor pet chicken (bantam size)

if you cant care for a special chicken then it would be best to cull it, if the other leg goes (which it sometimes can and the vet said usually with in the first month it will happen if it is going to) then you will have to cull.

Sorry it is never an easy decision.

We finally got her to drink some water and eat a couple grains of feed. I think her right leg mite hurt so she can’t use it maybe. We will keep trying as long as she’s chirping and vibrant like she is. I think earlier she was just tired so she was napping. It takes a lot out of a little one when there injured.

23356_001.jpg

Bad news she didn’t make it. Last night about 9:00 she stopped breathing. She put up a good fight.

Thanks to all you BYC members for all your help

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom