ill chicken. green poop. down wing. wont eat/drink unless hand fed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooster lover 119, Mar 6, 2011.

1. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    hey guys i have posted about this hen a couple times now saying broken wing. but i don't think her wing is truly broken. i gave her some yogurt and scrambled eggs and she seemed to like that but she wouldn't eat it if it was in front of her. i had to hold it up to her head and then she would eat it. she sleeps almost all day and won't eat corn, grain, scratch, bread, or water. she has been eating eggs and yogurt when i hand feed it to her every couple hours. i don't think she has drank since she has been in the brooder last Tuesday. which means she has been in there for 6 days now. oh and no egg yet. she poops green and we thought it was a sprained or broken wing. so today we put a elastic cast on her. its around the down wing and under the good wing. should i put water down her throat? i heard that can be a bad idea cause she can get water in her lungs from that.

here is the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the poop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks guys!!!

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I want to make sure what you are asking. Some answered your other thread but i guess you have more questions?

I'm assuming she will not drink on her own? If this is true get a dropper and mix 1/2 water and 1/2 Gatorade. Use the dropper to drop the water a drop or two at a time on the TOP of her beak. Let the water roll down her beak into her mouth so she can swallow it. This way it will not get into her lungs.

I've found that if I have a sick chicken the best way to get them to drink is to put the water in their own chicken waterer or the base of a chick waterer. They are attracted to the red. They have associated the color red with water and food since they were babies and it has the same affect on them as adults.

If she is still pooping green she is starving. Try giving her defrosted frozen corn or even a table spoon of canned corn. Try everything you have. Blueberries, chopped strawberries, cheerios mixed with yogurt and a bit of water so they are soft, cooked pasta cut into tiny pieces, leftover mac and cheese, leftover chopped chicken anything. Nothing salty or sweet or greasy.

She can live with the wing but you might want to take her to a vet for an x-ray. It might be broken or dislocated. Call ahead to see how much the vet will charge and shop around for the best price.

Food and water in red containers.

3. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    thank you so much ill try everything you told me! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by